ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Goodbye, Bitbucket!

<< < (3/6) > >>

Tuxman:
I try to stay the hell away from Git, but I found out that GitHub supports SVN clients, so I might bookmark that for later...
Thank you, Deozaan.

Deozaan:
Thank you, Deozaan.
-Tuxman (August 21, 2019, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Credit goes to the other complainers/commenters on the official Bitbucket "sunsetting mercurial" thread. :D

Shades:
I keep trying to learn how to use git because it seems like all service providers only support git and I want to take advantage of some of the cool features these services provide. But for one reason or another I get frustrated with git and give up and go back to mercurial.
-Deozaan (August 21, 2019, 04:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

(G)It doesn't get simpler than with the NitroGit client (not free), although there doesn't seem to be a time limit to their evaluation version. It has a different look than any other application and it would be understandable if that isn't your "thing". But it is simple to use.

Never got into SVN after several attempts, Mercurial I have never tried. There wasn't much time for it as I was bound to CVS (yes, that old beast). But there is talk to convert/upgrade the very active but also almost 20 year CVS repo to Git/GitLab. That will be fun...

Ah well, Git cannot be worse than CVS. The last freely available version of that software is from 2005, the WinCVS client is also from that year and has been stagnant for almost 14 years. Mercurial came and practically went in that time... That puts things in perspective  :P

Jibz:
There is much to like about sourcehut, the only thing that keeps me from using it at the moment is that patches are handled through email instead of having a web interface for pull requests.

I converted the remaining 5-6 mercurial repos I had on bitbucket to git yesterday.

Tuxman:
CVS is nice because of its low overhead. OpenBSD will probably migrate to their own "got" soon which is a NIH alternative to Git, effectively ending work on the last remaining CVS client.

Time for SCCS...  ;D
http://sccs.sourceforge.net/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version