ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Syncovery - OneDrive - Encryption

<< < (3/3)

KynloStephen66515:
@everyone
I know I am not such a frequent user as I used to be, but it always feels good to visit. It's like a home away from home (eeehhhh actually I don't have a home any more, since I became a nomad - Hahaha)

Greetings to @mouser and all the lovely people at Donationcoder - one of the best software communities on the web!
-brahman (August 15, 2019, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
same here!  :Thmbsup:

dc has clearly suffered as social media has taken off in past 10 years.  I know what affected me the most...reddit.  and changes in life.  but this is still the OG home!  much more civilized, we are not trying to get points and stuff so we have more honest discussions here.  mousey got married, ha!  anyway, glad to be back.

-superboyac (August 15, 2019, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice to have you back!

cranioscopical:
I became a nomad
-brahman (August 15, 2019, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Better than being angry all the time!

Nice to see you around. I'm still impressed by your discourse on Vuescan.

brahman:
Thanks for all your sweet words.

IainB:
@brahman:
Can I use Syncovery to synch my files to OneDrive without using the OneDrive folder on my machine in more or less real-time and with encryption on OneDrive?
So that any file I set Syncovery to sync will get uploaded to OD with encryption when I change the file on my PC?
-brahman (August 14, 2019, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's interesting.
When one saves stuff to either OneDrive or Google Drive, both services examine the data and will sometimes:

* A: delete bits of your files - e.g., suspected virus in a file attached to a OneNote document page that the client PC's Windows Defender didn't spot.
When this happens it discombobulates the syncing for the entire Notebook, leaving the Notebook "unsyncable". One then enters a world of pain trying to restore the situation, which can only be done by detailed analysis and comparison of the primary and cached copies of the Notebook being synced.

* B: CHANGE the item by attaching a non-removable flag to it (e.g., licenced/copyrighted material that bore no copyright when it was given to you) - in the case of a flag, the flag is permanent/persistent and you can never get your original file back in its original state.
By definition, a backup site needs to be trusted, and one cannot trust any site that does the above (QED).
So, it's caveat emptor and one need have no illusions about that.
Therefore, if I want to truly protect my stored data on OneDrive or Gdrive, I parcel it in an encrypted .7z compressed file. (That's also a good way to minimise storage utilisation.)
I have my User ID folders synced to OneDrive by default, so I can theoretically go to another Windows PC and get the same (current) data in those folders on whatever client I am using, but I don't really need encryption for those.
One of my main PIMs (Personal Information Managers) is OneNote. The user can have several OneNote Notebooks open at the same time, and they could be variously held either on the client device or in the Cloud (on OneDrive). I have most of them in the Cloud now, so I am usually working on a cached copy of a Notebook which is held locally on the client device and changes to it are regularly mirrored up incrementally as they occur, to the primary copy in the Cloud.
The user can encrypt whole Notebooks, or just some subsections/pages in the Notebooks. The user has to open them with the appropriate key in order to read/write to them, or search them (when closed, these encrypted objects become invisible to searches).
When I want full encryption, I tend to use MEGAsync for stuff that could be dynamically changing, or Telegram for encryption of general and large file storage (e.g., movies collections, .MP3 collections). Telegram (which is $FREE for ever and with full functionality) is very secure and potentially amazingly useful, as, once files have been saved into the default Telegram Cloud, the user can clear (delete) them out of the local client device's cache - which could be on (say) a PC, or a smartphone. Those files remain in the Telegram Cloud and can be downloaded by the user to any client device, or sent as shared links for those files to be downloaded by other users.
Anything (file or discussion) stored in the Telegram Cloud is encrypted and will stay there either until the user deletes it, or when the user account has not been active for 12 months - in which latter case, the Telegram system auto-expunges that account and all its (still encrypted) data.

Tuxman:
Never assume that anything which you don't encrypt before uploading will be encrypted on the remote server.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version