ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

VideoProc/Digiarty of WinXDVD Fame - ST FREE 4K/HD Capture/Edit/Download/Convert

<< < (2/4) > >>

Deozaan:
I have to say I'm disappointed in VideoProc. :(

I've tried using it to rip two different DVDs, selectively omitting a single chapter from each of them. One of them is The Triplets of Belleville (2003) which is a French animated title that is mostly kid-friendly other than a segment at the beginning with a topless dancer which has nothing to do with the rest of the movie. So I tried ripping the DVD without that scene and VideoProc fails in an absurd way. Basically the video freezes at the final frame at the end of the scene before the skipped scene, and stays frozen for the entire duration of the length of the skipped scene. Meanwhile, the audio skips perfectly right from the end of the scene before the skipped scene, and starts right up at the beginning of the scene after the skipped scene. Once the duration of the skipped scene has passed, the video starts that far into the scene after the skipped scene and you've missed vital parts of the movie.

I realize that I may not be explaining it very clearly, so let me write up an example to help simplify what I mean. Say I have three scenes, the middle of which I want to skip and not include in the recording.

Scene A is 2 minutes long.
Scene B is 4 minutes long. (This is the scene I want to remove.)
Scene C is 6 minutes long.

After VideoProc is finished doing its work, I start watching the video. Scene A plays perfectly. At the end of Scene A, I expect for the video and audio to immediately start playing Scene C. Instead what happens is that the video freezes on the final frame of Scene A and stays frozen for the entire duration of Scene B (4 minutes in this example). Meanwhile, the audio did as it should have done, and immediately started playing from the beginning of Scene C. Finally, after the duration of Scene B (4 minutes) has elapsed, the video starts playing again and we get to see the final 2 minutes of Scene C.

I get similar results with both DVDs I'm attempting to rip. Not only that, but I don't like that it doesn't support non-burned-in subtitles or chapter markers. Also, it tells me that my PC supports hardware (GPU) encoding but no matter what I do, it always just uses my CPU for encoding.

brahman:
Thanks for posting your experience.

For DVD ripping I always use the WinX DVD Ripper Platinum software from the same publisher.

Do you have a copy of that and does it have the same bug? Maybe the DVD is partly copy protected, because I don't think VideoProc is really made for copy protected ripping.

Deozaan:
I can already rip DVDs easily with DVD Decrypter and Handbreak. But they don't allow the option to selectively choose which chapters to include and which to exclude. To be more precise, Handbreak allows you to select a range of chapters to include, but it won't allow you to omit any chapters within that range.

So when I saw that VideoProc had DVD ripping capabilities, and that it allowed me to select arbitrary chapters to include in the ripped video, I thought I could clean up a couple videos I have.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a problem with copy protection because in actuality the "DVDs" I ripped were actually ISO files that I had previously ripped with DVD Decrypter which I think doesn't include the copy protection in the generated ISO file. I suppose I could try it again using the actual DVDs, but I don't expect any better results, and in fact as you mentioned the copy protection may interfere with it.

Shades:
I can already rip DVDs easily with DVD Decrypter and Handbreak. But they don't allow the option to selectively choose which chapters to include and which to exclude. To be more precise, Handbreak allows you to select a range of chapters to include, but it won't allow you to omit any chapters within that range.

So when I saw that VideoProc had DVD ripping capabilities, and that it allowed me to select arbitrary chapters to include in the ripped video, I thought I could clean up a couple videos I have.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a problem with copy protection because in actuality the "DVDs" I ripped were actually ISO files that I had previously ripped with DVD Decrypter which I think doesn't include the copy protection in the generated ISO file. I suppose I could try it again using the actual DVDs, but I don't expect any better results, and in fact as you mentioned the copy protection may interfere with it.
-Deozaan (August 18, 2019, 10:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Try MakeMKV (which is beta software, but has been stable for the years I have been using it). As far as I know you can use it's DVD ripping functionalities for free, you have to fork over money for the ripping of BluRay discs. If you are familiar with Handbreak, you really have to try and work with VidCoder. That particular software uses the Handbreak code, but adds a lot of functionality using a much easier (to me) interface to do your "thing".
For cutting up (and pasting back together) videos you should get: MKVToolnix.

The problem you describe sounds to me like your software is showing the content of the last buffer frame before the removal of the offending part. DVDs still use tricks to mess up playback in computers. Tricks that do not affect DVD players which you connect directly to your TV. BluRay players are more sensitive to such tricks, but those come with internet connections and enough hardware/software to update themselves with new DRM scenarios, depending on the content of the discs being played with it. So, these shouldn't suffer too much issues either.

So, you better cut out offending content in existing videos. MKVToolnix may not be the easiest software to work with, but it's powerful, hence it will get the job done.

Deozaan:
Try MakeMKV (which is beta software, but has been stable for the years I have been using it). As far as I know you can use it's DVD ripping functionalities for free, you have to fork over money for the ripping of BluRay discs. If you are familiar with Handbreak, you really have to try and work with VidCoder. That particular software uses the Handbreak code, but adds a lot of functionality using a much easier (to me) interface to do your "thing".
For cutting up (and pasting back together) videos you should get: MKVToolnix.

The problem you describe sounds to me like your software is showing the content of the last buffer frame before the removal of the offending part. DVDs still use tricks to mess up playback in computers. Tricks that do not affect DVD players which you connect directly to your TV. BluRay players are more sensitive to such tricks, but those come with internet connections and enough hardware/software to update themselves with new DRM scenarios, depending on the content of the discs being played with it. So, these shouldn't suffer too much issues either.

So, you better cut out offending content in existing videos. MKVToolnix may not be the easiest software to work with, but it's powerful, hence it will get the job done.-Shades (August 18, 2019, 10:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the information and the suggestions. I'll try out MakeMKV and MKVToolnix, as well as VidCoder. :)

Would you please contact our support team([email protected]) with screenshots about your operations?
-VideoProc Support (August 18, 2019, 11:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Welcome to the forum and thanks for responding to my complaints. I'll take some screenshots and see if I can submit some concrete examples to you, as requested. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version