ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

XYplorer File Manager

<< < (23/43) > >>

tomos:
All this talk has finally inspired me to install...well, unzip :) XYplorer

only getting a feel for it yet but gotta say it's lovely and light
with great and obvious (and subtle) attention to detail -

Sometimes the small details can be so nice - and there's so many really nice features here in the first couple of minutes..

looking forward to getting to know better :-*

luc:

....So what Luc is saying is: "This apple has a severe problem: it does not taste like an orange."

-DonL (November 19, 2007, 02:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, that is not what I was writing.  I did write: "There are many other file managers available which are more suitable for visually and mouse oriented users". I did not say the others are better in general. As it is also confirmed by several responses here, a dual pane mode is a non-negotiable requirement for quite a lot of people. Perhaps mentally more flexible people can do without; some of us will not. Nothing new. Some people are happy with apples only and some with oranges only - and some would prefer to have both.

ad-min:
Sometimes the small details can be so nice - and there's so many really nice features here in the first couple of minutes..

looking forward to getting to know better :-*
-tomos (November 19, 2007, 05:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, the small details and the big advantages like: great usability, active development, fantastic user forum, no extra payment for dual install, portability, no changes in the registry, and and and...

A good place for new users to start is the Support Site (http://xyplorer.com/support.htm) with a lot of great sources of knowledge:the XY Tutorial, the wonderful XYwiki, the Cheat Sheets and - of course - the user forum.

ad-min:
I did write: "There are many other file managers available which are more suitable for visually and mouse oriented users".
-luc (November 19, 2007, 07:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think I am a very visually and mouse oriented user and I really have no problems with XYplorer. I do nearly all my file operations with the mouse and only use Keyboard Shortcuts when they are really useful.

But you are absolutely right, the first time with XYplorer is not an easy one. Before I installed XY I worked with other file managers like SpeedCommander, DirectoryOpus and TotalCommander for years. All of them are dual pane file managers and all of them are so much better than WindowsExplorer. So it was just natural that I developed a antipathy for single pane file managers.

The first time I started XY I automatically associated that it has to be a product of poor quality which would not excel WindowsExplorer. I didn't use XY for two weeks but then - I don't know why - I gave it another chance, read the Wiki, read the Tutorial and discovered so many interesting things. The support is the best one I ever saw and Don adds new features at a pace which is really impressive.

Personally I don't miss dual pane and I don't need it in my everyday work. If I really need to visually compare two folders I open a second instance of XY or use a specialized tool. But I can understand that a lot of users would prefer to work the same way they are used to.

Some people are happy with apples only and some with oranges only - and some would prefer to have both.
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's why I don't know if it is really a good idea to make the apple (XYplorer) look more like an orange. If I prefer DP there are so many great file managers out there but if I want a good single pane file manager there is only XYplorer. If Don can find a way to implement "both worlds" without sacrificing the things which make XY so special then all users (SP and DP fans) would be happy. But I think that's not an easy task...

luc:
Actually, I believe I was wrong before - Most likely the majority of people would prefer to have both fruits.

The curious thing is, that so many people here are writing of philosophical or conceptual differences between SP and DP file managers; I do not buy it. What philosophy could it be (discussion and arguments are usually involved in philosophy)?   I have not found an attempt at a rational argument for the exclusion of a DP option other than mysterious unspecified philosophy or dogma (breaking a program in an unspecified way ?,....).  Perhaps there is an unspecified incredible value somewhere in just being different ?? - that would be comparatively rational.
This strangeness of the discussion makes the whole topic somewhat provocative.
On the other hand, many posts here have delivered real world arguments for the usefulness of DP (and apparently people in the XY forums have used external scripting tools to re-create a DP there).
Anyhow, looks like we can close this part of the debate soon.

Some people are happy with apples only and some with oranges only - and some would prefer to have both.
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's why I don't know if it is really a good idea to make the apple (XYplorer) look more like an orange. If I prefer DP there are so many great file managers out there but if I want a good single pane file manager there is only XYplorer. If Don can find a way to implement "both worlds" without sacrificing the things which make XY so special then all users (SP and DP fans) would be happy. But I think that's not an easy task...
-ad-min (November 20, 2007, 01:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version