ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

XYplorer File Manager

<< < (22/43) > >>

sri:
In my forum I have published a "roadmap" of XYplorer future developement, and you'll see DP is there! Whoops? Am I finally turning corrupt? Am I getting soft? No, but I'm getting realistic (which is a common euphemism for getting corrupt, I know... :)). I realized that without dual pane I automatically get lower ratings on many software sites. And this sucks. The other advantage of adding it would be obviously: no more discussions about it!!! :mrgreen:
-DonL (November 19, 2007, 02:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

To me, everything else blurred out except the above. Hurray!

ad-min:
>>I think 3 out of 5 stars isn't really a hate review
[...]I just felt that this particular case was mainly motivated by the frustration about the lack of a particular "feature". [...] So what Luc is saying is: "This apple has a severe problem: it does not taste like an orange."
--- End quote ---

Yes, I see your point there.

I put feature in quotes because DP is a whole different approach to file management, not just a feature. It's not just about adding a 2nd pane.
--- End quote ---

You are absolutely right, DP is far more than a feature, it's a different concept. The question is: Can it be implemented without destroying the present XYperience? Will XYplorer with DP (even if it is optional there have to be so many changes throughout the program) just be another clone as all the other file managers? It's a difficult design question...there could be much more destroyed than achieved.

I have many paying customers and many contributing users in the forum, and they all are pretty happy with XY for a long time. Hey, this app is not just good, it is successful! :)
--- End quote ---
Pretty happy? That's more than an understatement, I love this application!  :-*

Ralf Maximus:
>>So why pursue this in a public forum?  What are you hoping to accomplish?
I don't, man! Read the thread. It's not me that starts talking about DP, never ever.
--- End quote ---

Don, forgive me, but I still don't think you see my point.

I recognize that you didn't "started anything".  It's good to see a software vendor pay attention to customers in such a visible way, provide helpful information and background reasoning on why the product is the way it is.  I applaud you.

However, there comes a time in some threads where emotion creeps in, and then it's time to just stop.  Your "thanks for the hate review" comment struck me as such a tipping point, with dialog beyond that leading to thinner and thinner ice.  It doesn't matter who is "right" or who started it, it seems to me you've reached the level of diminishing returns on the whole "dual panel" discussion. 

That was my point.

DonL:
However, there comes a time in some threads where emotion creeps in, and then it's time to just stop.  Your "thanks for the hate review" comment struck me as such a tipping point, with dialog beyond that leading to thinner and thinner ice.  It doesn't matter who is "right" or who started it, it seems to me you've reached the level of diminishing returns on the whole "dual panel" discussion.-Ralf Maximus (November 19, 2007, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
Okay, I give you that. The less enlighted part of me just could not resist to "thank for the hate review"... :)

wraith808:
I personally don't see 3 out of 5 stars as a 'hate review' either; I'd give it 3 (or perhaps 3-1/2... maaaaybe 4) stars out of 5 currently, and I don't hate the software.  I just couldn't really recommend it at a level above that because of features that are must-haves for me to recommend that are not present.  For file management, DP is one of those features that I require, otherwise, I'd stick with explorer- and tabs don't change that assessment.  It's a very solid piece of software, that works very well.  But it doesn't fit in my workflow currently as a file manager.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version