ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

XYplorer File Manager

<< < (21/43) > >>

ad-min:
Thanks for the hate review at snapfiles. It won't increase the chance for DP in XY, but you probably feel better now. ;)
(If you are not luc0815: ignore this post.)
-DonL (November 18, 2007, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think 3 out of 5 stars isn't really a hate review. You know, tastes differ...and some guys just prefer Dual Pane. :huh:

Some time ago I couldn't imagine to use a single pane file manager. I was very happy with SpeedCommander and DirectoryOpus.

But now I can't imagine to use anything apart from XYplorer to manage my files. Yes, it must be this Zen thing.  :D

I also think you shouldn't implement a feature you don't like yourself, Don. The special thing about XYplorer is, that everyone who reads your forum can see at once, that you want to create a masterpiece. You only add features when you are convinced that they really improve XYplorer without bloating it.

Earning money is important (and DP would very likely bring more registrations), yes, but in the end it's mostly better to remain true to one's principles. To try to make all people happy is very rarely a good thing. If you keep on improving XYplorer more and more users will realize that DP may be a nice additional feature but it isn't something you can't life without.

But if you - some day - think that DP really would improve the XYperience (there may be these rare occasions when it is handy to compare folders visually) and you find a way to integrate it, it would mean that DP isn't implemented because it is requested but because it really is a feature to make XYplorer even better. :Thmbsup:

luc:
Hi Don,

somehow you might want to try to re-calibrate your judgements.  First your are implicitely describing a dual pane mode in a file manager as "buzz feature" (it was introduced 15 years ago, or even earlier?) and then you are calling the following a hate review:
"A very powerful and fast file manager with plenty of helpful inventions enhancing file management. It is multi-tabbed and you can open several instances; However, what is missing completely is a straightforward classic dual-pane mode, the easiest way to manage files visually. Thus I can recommend this tool only for people planning to deal with a steeper learning curve to master a powerful tool. There are many other file managers available which are more suitable for visually and mouse oriented users."  So, where exactly is hate expressed in there?

Unfortunately,you do not seem to have attempted a single rationale argument in this discussion and prefer to  write about "buzz features of the day" and "hate reviews".   People have different demands regarding filemanagers and might be wired differently.  For example I am not the only who would be driven crazy if I would have to use a MAC for more than an hour; only because of its file management approach.
( BTW, nobody who has visited the XYplorer forum will realistically expect the implementation of the buzz feature, as it has apparently been requested often and already long ago and your aversion to it is pretty obvious).  You cannot stand a dual pane mode for an unknown reason; that is fine, as XY is obviously your personal creation.  Pseudo arguments will not help potential customers.

A dual pane layout is, in my eyes at least, not exactly a buzz feature. ...
-luc (November 14, 2007, 08:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the hate review at snapfiles. It won't increase the chance for DP in XY, but you probably feel better now. ;)

--- End quote ---

Ralf Maximus:
A dual pane layout is, in my eyes at least, not exactly a buzz feature. ...
-luc (November 14, 2007, 08:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Don, if you don't want to add the feature, then don't.  Say you have no plans to implement it then case closed.  You don't even need to justify yourself; it's your product and your vision.

So why pursue this in a public forum?  What are you hoping to accomplish?

nosh:
I'm too used to dual panes to ever consider a file manager that doesn't support them.

However, from a programmer's perspective I can totally empathize with Don. XYplorer is his baby and I can see how it would feel just wrong to implement something that he doesn't truly believe in.

The discussions on file managers usually tend to be generic in nature. We need to have a more technical thread where people loyal to different file managers discuss how they get identical tasks done. It could open us up to an app that may be more suited to us and also make clear if things like dual panes are truly beneficial for some things or simply a "buzz feature".

DonL:
Allow one post to answer all, and allow short answers... :)

>>I think 3 out of 5 stars isn't really a hate review
What is the impulse for a comment that basically says: "The app is okay, but there are a lot of better ones." 3 stars is a bad rating. Less than 3 stars would just have questioned the credibility of the author. I think (this is my opinion) the intention of expressing this "opinion" was either to punish me, or to put some pressure on me to change my mind about DP. I don't say it's not okay to give only 3 stars. Of course it is. I just felt that this particular case was mainly motivated by the frustration about the lack of a particular "feature". I put feature in quotes because DP is a whole different approach to file management, not just a feature. It's not just about adding a 2nd pane. So what Luc is saying is: "This apple has a severe problem: it does not taste like an orange."

>>But if you - some day - think that DP really would improve the XYperience ...
Of course! I would implement it on the same day. Or start implementing it, because it would take 1 or 2 weeks probably.

>>First your are implicitely describing a dual pane mode in a file manager as "buzz feature"
No. Read again. My post where I talked about buzz features was a general reply to the question of sri, whether an author should add a feature if a large number of users want it. I found this an interesting question and expressed my opinion about it. I did not even think about DP when writing this!

>>So why pursue this in a public forum?  What are you hoping to accomplish?
I don't, man! Read the thread. It's not me that starts talking about DP, never ever. As I just said, I answered sri's question in a general way (and I would like to discuss it further because it is a very good question!).
In my forum I have published a "roadmap" of XYplorer future developement, and you'll see DP is there! Whoops? Am I finally turning corrupt? Am I getting soft? No, but I'm getting realistic (which is a common euphemism for getting corrupt, I know... :)). I realized that without dual pane I automatically get lower ratings on many software sites. And this sucks. The other advantage of adding it would be obviously: no more discussions about it!!! :mrgreen:

>>XYplorer is his baby
Well, I'm not an isolated mad scientist with a bizarre vision of file management. I have many paying customers and many contributing users in the forum, and they all are pretty happy with XY for a long time. Hey, this app is not just good, it is successful! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version