ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

XYplorer File Manager

<< < (20/43) > >>

sri:
Isn't it prudent for a commerical software developer to bring changes that the users (the majority of them) want and not what he/she wants in the product?

(I am not saying that the majority of users want dual pane, it's not known yet and hence my recommendation for a poll on the matter)

DonL:
Isn't it prudent for a commerical software developer to bring changes that the users (the majority of them) want and not what he/she wants in the product?-sri (November 11, 2007, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think so. A (good) software is not a collection of features whose presence is determined by their popularity. Such a crowd pleasing development strategy would likely result in a corrupt product that won't satisfy most users (although it might sell well for a while because it boasts all the buzz features).

luc:
A dual pane layout is, in my eyes at least, not exactly a buzz feature. Has been around for quite a while - and not just by accident.
It is bit hard to understand how the option of a second pane would destroy a good file manager (despite many, many posts on XY's own board) - and nobody could force the author to actually use it himself.   :-\
Anyhow, there are sooo many good file managers out there and necessarily they all have their own idiosyncrasies; some have larger ones (the lack of the buzz feature for example) and the others have many smaller idiosyncrasies. Still looking for the perfect one for me, though.

sri:
It's hard to understand why providing an option (of dual pane) is termed as a 'crowd pleasing' tactic. We are asking for dual pane as an extra choice that the user can toggle on and off. Why insist that a user use the program as you see fit? Provide him the choice and everyone's happy.

It's a different matter if the logic behind not willing to provide the requested feature is difficult to implement or takes up too much development time. But being in your own shell by not thinking out of the box and terming dual panes as a useless buzz word isn't true. I use it everyday. I know I am more productive with it and am sure many others think the same. Agreed, you don't use it and am not asking you to, but why not provide it to those who want it? Conduct a poll, I say (again), and see how many people are for it.

Isn't it prudent for a commerical software developer to bring changes that the users (the majority of them) want and not what he/she wants in the product?-sri (November 11, 2007, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think so. A (good) software is not a collection of features whose presence is determined by their popularity. Such a crowd pleasing development strategy would likely result in a corrupt product that won't satisfy most users (although it might sell well for a while because it boasts all the buzz features).
-DonL (November 11, 2007, 02:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

DonL:
A dual pane layout is, in my eyes at least, not exactly a buzz feature. ...
-luc (November 14, 2007, 08:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the hate review at snapfiles. It won't increase the chance for DP in XY, but you probably feel better now. ;)

(If you are not luc0815: ignore this post.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version