ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

XYplorer File Manager

<< < (17/43) > >>

DonL:
XY Explorer might just be the king of the hill if Donald would not be too proud (because somebody else invented it ??) to implement a dual pane mode. I cannot imagine working without the great overview over files one gets with dual panes - despite all the other enticing developments seen with XY explorer.

-luc (November 03, 2007, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
XY is single-pane, and multi-instance! Just open two (three, four, ...) of them and you have all the enticing developments twice. I'm half-joking because I know you die-hard dual-paners and your fixation all too well... No, I'm not too proud to steal. It's just that I don't dig dual pane. And when I see the growing numbers of people that are happy, very happy, with XY, I know I'm not the only one. :)

Darwin:
Crap, Don. Now you've got me drooling over the notion of a secondary monitor again - AND I JUST GOT OVER THAT ONE! Drat... It would be soooooooooooooooooooooooooo sweet to have two XYplorer windows open, one on each monitor and move stuff aro... Enough! (Darwin gives his head a good shake).

Seriously, XYplorer's implementation of tabs is awesome and extremely easy to use. I'd LOVE to see dual-pane support as well, but respect that Don's not interested in going there. What he's achieved with tabs is just as powerful - it just requires the end user to "re-learn" how to perform some file operations...

tinjaw:
Don,

I applaud you for sticking to your guns as a developer. You have a vision of what you want XYplorer to be, and if you try to water it down to be everything to everybody, well, you know what happens.

mwang:
I tried XYplorer a while back, liked it very much, and almost paid for it before settling for Directory Opus. (My apologies if I sounded not too enthusiastic for DOpus. It's great, in fact, but it's a little too pricey for me -- especially considering cost of upgrades in the future.)

XYplorer had almost everything I wanted except one minor flaw, but that minor flaw killed the deal for me.

No, it's not the dual-pane thing everyone talks about. It's the lack of unicode support. I've endured the inconvenience of working with several East Asian languages in an ASCII-centric environment for 20+ years and I cope and manage as best as I can. But in this day and age, a file manager that can't handle unicode file/path names properly is simply unacceptable to me, no matter how great it otherwise is. (It's the same reason why I've never tried Total Commander, another highly respected FM.)

I almost took the plunge for the $30 lifetime license a few weeks back before Don raised the price. Didn't do it for I wasn't sure when, if ever, Don was going to solve the issue. The new UDC thing and other improvements all look very promising, but I can't help but think that unicode support really isn't high on the to-do list.

DonL:
No, it's not the dual-pane thing everyone talks about. It's the lack of unicode support.-mwang (November 04, 2007, 05:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, it is lacking indeed. But not totally. Just to make sure what part of unicode support is lacking, let me point out that files/folders with e.g. Chinese characters are displayed correctly, can be moved, copied, deleted, and batch-renamed. You can preview them, time-stamp them, and so on ... I can put it shorter: it's only one thing that you currently cannot do with unicode-named files: you cannot type/edit their names, simply because I still don't have a unicode-capable edit box. This means you cannot type such file/folder names into the Address Bar, and you cannot rename them by typing a new name into the Rename box. That's all.

Or have I forgotten anything, mwang?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version