ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

XYplorer File Manager

<< < (31/43) > >>

justice:
Sounds like you wanted it to look like some other filemanager? I'd suggest giving it a go and trying it on its own merits. I think good software makes it clear how it should best be used instead of offering unlimited customations and no guidance. :)

TheQwerty:
Just to address some of kartal's dislikes.

It does not have dual panes,-kartal (April 08, 2008, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's a heated topic of discussion on the XYplorer forums.  Recently, Don has stated he'd give it a bit more consideration if the users could come up with a solid proposal, which the DP lovers are attempting ( http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=2293 ).

It does not have a ftp client,-kartal (April 08, 2008, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Correct, Don feels that his time is better spent working on the file manager side of things then adding an FTP implementation, especially since there are an abundance of clients already available.

It does not support mouse forward backward buttons, at least mine did not work-kartal (April 08, 2008, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
This works for me, but if you were to bring this up in the forums a fix might be found.  Don's pretty good at trying to fix mouse event bugs.

You can not change the placement of panes (for example I would like viewer on the left or right side)
You can not seperate bottom pane. For example I would like to put find files at top, properties at the bottom
Limited layout selection-kartal (April 08, 2008, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
I agree it would be nice if the panes could be separated, moved, and docked independently.

You can not get rid of tree view (at least I could not)-kartal (April 08, 2008, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Window -> Show Navigation Panel.  Unless you mean show the Catalog but not the tree, then unfortunately it's not currently possible.

In full row select mode you cannot drag selection rectangle-kartal (April 08, 2008, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Tis true, I'm going to post a suggestion in the forums on a fix for this.

EDIT: Actually it is possible to use the selection rectangle with full row select mode, but you have to click in "Line Numbers"/# column to start it.

kartal:
Dual pane is not the most important issue to me. But customization of placement of panes and what I want to see in my workspace is the most important. When the  software does not let you customize it feels like dictatorship to me. Do not get me wrong, it was very responsive and fast. It had some nice details that other apps did not have like color toggling. Compared to other apps like powerdesk or directory opus I felt like this was a better paid alternative. I just cannot live without customized layout. I will give another round thou.

thanks

wraith808:
Dual Panes was the most important issue, but with his statement that it was on the roadmap, just not the next exit, I decided to give it a go.  I still use DO (and will probably have to upgrade damn his eyes for upgrade costs especially since you need that to get native vista support), but XY is finding a place on my desktop and my USB drive.  The FTP would be more of an issue if it was dual pane, but I just use DO whenever I need to FTP.

Grorgy:
I gotta say that after a while, dual panes becomes less of an issue.  Most of the stuff I do is easy enough with either 1 pane or 2 tabs, i dont have to see all the files in the other tab.  Saying that though I have total commander UP for when I think dual panes would be better.  and xy just gets better day by day almost anyway, at least a couple of times a week a new update.  I only get the final release usually unless i see something I really want in the interim releases, I was downloading so many xyplorers it was getting out of hand  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version