ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Altap Salamander now freeware

<< < (4/5) > >>

BGM:
So the unpaid version is artificially crippled. That's not what I would call a "freeware" software.
-Tuxman (August 11, 2019, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, Tuxy, I think there is a misunderstanding.  The donor versions are betas.  The beta-testers-donors donate to get to use the beta versions ahead of production schedule.  Then, when it gets to the point for a new release, the beta version is released as a public version.  There is no crippling going on.  A new, fully-functional public release is made every few months or so.  The donor version is basically a beta-preview. 

FreeCommander has NO license or registration codes to govern any kind of feature-crippling system.  It's always been this way.  It's called FREECommander for a reason.

Here is from the FAQ page:
Is the FreeCommander free also for commercial use?
Yes it is, you can use it free of charge for private and professional purposes. You may not however sell it for profit and you may not bundle FreeCommander in other software packages without affirmation of the author.
--- End quote ---

However, to give you some credit, this is from the FAQ, too (but I don't know if this is still the case anymore; it might be; I've never tested it):
The functions of the donor release compared to public are the same with the exception for searching in the “PDF” files.
--- End quote ---

BGM:
Speaking of freeware file managers, Q-Dir is also very nice and very useful if you have to distribute files into a lot of places.  It is very configurable.

There is also QTTabBar which gives tabs and customizable toolbars to Windows Explorer - this is very nice, too - it makes Windows Explorer actually pleasant.

Tuxman:
A new, fully-functional public release is made every few months or so.
-BGM (August 11, 2019, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

The 64-bit version has not been public and free for years.

Shades:
Speaking of freeware file managers, Q-Dir is also very nice and very useful if you have to distribute files into a lot of places.  It is very configurable.

There is also QTTabBar which gives tabs and customizable toolbars to Windows Explorer - this is very nice, too - it makes Windows Explorer actually pleasant.
-BGM (August 11, 2019, 09:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

For those that like QTTabBar and its specifics, tablacusexplorer is supposed to be a free alternative (after you download and use the 'Split' add-on. There are boatloads of add-on's for it, actually. Including a dark theme, if you are into that. Also as a portable app available.

** edit: added link **

rgdot:
"Click: Go to parent folder" is done only via an addon? How minimal is the base install?  :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version