ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Altap Salamander now freeware

<< < (2/5) > >>

rjbull:
I was into FreeCommander until the 64 bit hurdle kind of messed up the evolution of it.-MilesAhead (August 10, 2019, 09:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't overlook

* Double Commander
Double Commander is a free cross platform open source file manager with two panels side by side. It is inspired by Total Commander and features some new ideas.
--- End quote ---

* Multi Commander
Windows only.  Favourable comments from Shades in this DC thread:  Re: Batch file to move files (less than total size) from A to B
 Both of these come in 32- and 64-bit Windows flavours, portable versions too.

rjbull:
I haven't noticed anyone post that the Altap Salamander file manager is now freeware - did I just miss the post?

Altap Salamander download page

Download Altap Salamander 4.0 - Freeware
Altap Salamander (including all plugins) from version 4.0 becomes freeware for both commercial and non-commercial use. Users of older Salamander versions can upgrade to version 4.0 free of charge. Version 4.0 requires Windows 7 or newer. There are not other limitations compared to commercial version 3.08.
--- End quote ---
-x16wda (August 09, 2019, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is the first post I've seen on DC, but it's just been mentioned by 'Gizmo': This Commercial File Manager for Windows is Now Freeware

I don't understand the wording of the press release, though.  Do they mean that only the new v4 is free?  V4 doesn't support (at least, they don't say it does) Windows earlier than 7.  Some of us are old-fashioned...

Tuxman:
The Double Commander is a nice application, but it all depends on what you need.

Generally, all "Commanders" (including the Salamander) are only strong if you copy/move files regularly. That's when the second window can shine.
Also, you should consider to spend money. Paid file managers are (almost) always better than freeware file managers.

I guess I tried most of them by now, having settled to the Total Commander for the time being - until something better appears in my sphere.

rjbull:
[...] Paid file managers are (almost) always better than freeware file managers.

I [...] settled to the Total Commander
-Tuxman (August 10, 2019, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
So did I, in 1999  :)  It was the first thing that made working with Windows almost semi-tolerable.  I have licences for Ztree Win and XYplorere too, but TC is the one I practically live in when at the computer.

On the other hand - I carry a USB stick around with me, and I've left it stuck in a computer in the library a couple of times.  My limited experience of USB stick encryption was not very delightful, and I wondered about what free software to put on an unencrypted stick, so that someone picking it up wouldn't benefit from my licence (and wouldn't be able to broadcast it all over the Internet).

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you, right?

Tuxman:
Hmm. I tried Ztree a few months ago, and, although I like tree-based file managers (when I had an Android phone, X-plore was my favorite by far), I found it surprisingly lacking.
XYplorer never grew to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version