ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best reliable freeware download sites?

<< < (4/8) > >>

anandcoral:
Since you guys mentioned so many popular freesoft website.
I just want to add this one:
kubadownload
-chashnniel (July 25, 2019, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the site. Found some useful free stuff there.

Regards,

Anand

Akertyna:
In my opinion, Download.com is the mother of all software download websites. It’s the oldest of its type and was established about 14 years ago. The site is owned by CNet, one of the biggest names in Technology. There's an app on Apknite has a similar name but I don't know if it belongs to them or not. 

wraith808:
In my opinion, Download.com is the mother of all software download websites. It’s the oldest of its type and was established about 14 years ago. The site is owned by CNet, one of the biggest names in Technology. There's an app on Apknite has a similar name but I don't know if it belongs to them or not. 
-Akertyna (August 08, 2019, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

One thing that places a black eye on Download.com in my regard is the practice of wrapping installers in their own installer.  That just leaves a bitter flavor in my mouth.  I'm not sure if they are still doing it as I stopped visiting at the point where they started the practice.

app103:
-Akertyna (August 08, 2019, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

One thing that places a black eye on Download.com in my regard is the practice of wrapping installers in their own installer.  That just leaves a bitter flavor in my mouth.  I'm not sure if they are still doing it as I stopped visiting at the point where they started the practice.
-wraith808 (August 08, 2019, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

And that's one reason why they are not going on my list.

The other is the quality of their downloads. They will list pretty much anything, with little regards for whether or not the software they list is safe. Maybe they scan it with an antivirus, maybe they don't. Regardless, you'll find plenty of junk with forced toolbars, home page hijackers, search hijackers, webpage ad hijackers, and old fashioned spyware. They never even bothered to clean up their listings to remove old, notorious classic spyware apps, like Gator.

And that's the kind of junk I am trying very hard to avoid adding to my list.

Target:
another one that might be worth consideration, though probably not strictly a freeware site

Alternative To offers alternative solutions to a lot of mainstream apps

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version