ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best reliable freeware download sites?

(1/8) > >>

app103:
I am compiling a list of the best reliable, freeware download sites, and would like your help.

The list will be published here, on one of my websites.

To qualify for this list, a download site

* Must specialize in freeware or have a large freeware section that can be directly linked to.
* Must not bundle freeware with their own crapware installers.
* Must investigate and remove malware from their listings, when it is reported to them. (if you see known malware on their website, they don't qualify)
* Must describe programs accurately, including if a program is an adware or demo version.
* Must not offer shareware in a way that misleads visitors into thinking it is freeware, or that it is a different freeware version exclusive to their site, when it's the same shareware version offered everywhere else.
* Must warn if an application comes bundled by the developer, with potentially unwanted programs, for which you can opt out during installation.
* Must not offer only a handful of apps from a single developer. (I am focusing on sites that can act as a 1 stop shop for most of your software needs)
And yes, Donation Coder is already on my list.  ;)

BGM:
My favourites go-to's are:

Snapfiles
FileHippo
PortableFreeware
MajorGeeks
DonationCoder

I don't really look anywhere else when I need something unless I can't find what I want in those places.  A few of them even host downloads for my own software.

By the way, I tried your contact page on your site (to give an idea for free stuff) and the captcha didn't work for me (Waterfox on Windows 7).  Actually, there was no captcha besides the "I'm not a robot" button, and clicking submit displays a red bar saying "invalid captcha".  Adblocker was off.

app103:
By the way, I tried your contact page on your site (to give an idea for free stuff) and the captcha didn't work for me (Waterfox on Windows 7).  Actually, there was no captcha besides the "I'm not a robot" button, and clicking submit displays a red bar saying "invalid captcha".  Adblocker was off.
-BGM (July 24, 2019, 10:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm...I'll look into it. In the mean time, you can send me a private message here, if you'd like.

ConstanceJill:
Do sites in languages other than english qualify?

anandcoral:
Do sites in languages other than english qualify?
-ConstanceJill (July 25, 2019, 02:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
By all means, yes.

Language do not separate us. We can translate :)

Regards,

Anand

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version