ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Stop using LaTeX!

<< < (2/2)

Tuxman:
I found LibreOffice to be surprisingly unreliable on Windows when I tried it last. Maybe that's a platform thing or directly related to my computer. Modern DTP (Scribus) is one of the less horrible alternatives to LaTeX indeed, although it's arguably not really a writing tool either. :)

f0dder:
LibreOfffce Writer is mentioned in the article. I used to use Scribus for such purposes. Now I use LibreOffice Writer to produce desktop publishing-ready PDFs.-Arizona Hot (July 19, 2019, 07:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hrm, I don't find that Libreoffice output quality comes anywhere near LaTeX.
It's OK if you just need to do typical office or school work, but publish-ready quality? Nope.

It's very easy to use, allows you to flow text around pictures and if you use the "Hybrid PDF" option (see screenshot below) you can re-edit the pdf later in LibreOffice Writer.-Arizona Hot (July 19, 2019, 07:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Why would you do that?
PDF should be thought of as an export, read-only format. Keep your documents in source form for editing!

wraith808:
PDF should be thought of as an export, read-only format. Keep your documents in source form for editing!
-f0dder (July 20, 2019, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

QFT!  I've seen too many projects unable to update because they assumed that the PDF would be good enough for source.  Or they have cost overruns because of the effort involved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version