ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: play random wav from a folder at random times

<< < (5/8) > >>

jimduggan:
I guess one workaround for this bug is for me to manually add a few seconds of silence at the beginning of every sound clip I have. That way, even if it cuts out and switches to another clip, it will do so while still playing the silent part, so it won't be noticeable.

publicdomain:
This release should fix multi-play  :Thmbsup:

Download: RandomSoundsApp_v0.4.1_Release.zip

Cheers!
Vic

Damocles:
Have to ask.....why would you want to do this, apart from a prank?

app103:
Have to ask.....why would you want to do this, apart from a prank?
-Damocles (January 05, 2020, 05:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

It could have a practical purpose, too. Imagine a folder of positive affirmations, where a random one would play every hour or so, to inspire you. Kind of like an audio version of mouser's Popup Wisdom.

Or in my case....

I made a clock application many years ago, which has an hourly chime that sounds like a cuckoo clock, which has provided much amusement over the years, because when it chimes, it's almost as if my computer is commenting on the current conversation, calling someone "cuckoo". Lots of laughs when it's right, which is often. I don't know why, but someone in my home will usually say or do something crazy at the top of every hour, and my clock is there to call them out on it.  :D

About 20 years ago, I collected a large number of wav files of short single sentence clips from movies, and people saying silly stuff, suitable for playing as comments to chat room conversations on AOL. They have been pretty much useless since leaving AOL, and I kind of miss them. So, I am going to use this little app to play one at random about every 90 minutes or so. Perhaps it will be as fun as my "judgy" little clock butting into our conversations.  ;D

jimduggan:
It could have a practical purpose, too. Imagine a folder of positive affirmations, where a random one would play every hour or so, to inspire you. Kind of like an audio version of mouser's Popup Wisdom.

--- End quote ---

That's exactly the way I'm using it! Not a prank at all.
And if you don't want to use it that way, imagine having just one simple 'beep' sound that plays every 15 minutes, or every hour, to remind you of the passing of time and to stop procrastinating. I imagine some people would be happy to use it just in that way, without the random aspect. To do that, you only drop one audio file into the folder, and that's all the app will play.

@publicdomain Thank you for this latest release! I really appreciate your work with this app. It works and I use it every day.

There seems to be a bug when you have the app set to start with the OS. When you reboot the PC and the app starts, it does indeed start, but it doesn't work. I get an popup error message saying Unhandled Exception has occured, and "Access to the path "C:\Windows\system32\SettingsData.txt" is denied. Even though I don't think it should be putting anything in the windows folder. The app itself is in a folder on the desktop.

I will try and reproduce it again and see if I can list the steps required to do so.

For the future, I would only suggest, but only if they are not too much work:
1) trying to mute the audio if the windows sound system is already playing audio (from a video etc.) (code in one of the posts above in this thread).
2) a scheduling option of some sort. (this user interface for scheduling looks interesting: https://softorino.com/volumeconcierge2/)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version