ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Necrofile or other... ?

(1/3) > >>

PitrPaulus:
GoodDay!
I use necrofile (http://www.necrocosm.com/download.html) to free space on my hard-disc. What's Necrofile: "Well, NecroFile takes the partitions you select from a list and it overwrites the clusters with mock data. This will push all deleted programs off of the hard disk and into oblivion where it belongs. It does *not* damage any data that exists on the drive, and this is guaranteed."
This really works simple and I never had any problems of deleting too much or the wrong files.
BUT... everytime I use the program I have some hang-ups, altough I first do the recommended scan-disc and then the defagmentation. (So it takes a lot of time and energy to use this program.)

Does anybody know if there's a similar program that does the same thing?

(I must be a easy as Necrofile(!): just cleaning the free space on your hard disc automatically, just by selecting the right disc-letter (clean C+D+E >> ready)).

Greetings, PitrPaulus

mouser:
Eraser is a very high quality file wiper that can also wipe free disk space and end-of-file clusters (or whatever the proper term is).

freeware:
http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/default.php

app103:
There are some defragmenting tools that will not only defragment the hard drive, but wipe the free space that remains too.

I am unaware of the names of any modern defragmenters that do it. I am not that familiar with any defragmenters other than the old Nuts & Bolts for 9x and the one that comes with Windows.

Nuts & Bolts for 9x does do it, but like PitrPaulus said, it does take longer to do things this way.

f0dder:
Nuts & Bolts had an *extremely* good defragger - probably the "planning step" it did before actual defragmentation did a lot of good for it's quality. I'd like to see something of similar quality for NTFS... PerfectDisk is the best I've found yet, and the rest I've tried (O&O and "that other popular one" are pretty worthless in comparison).

PitrPaulus:
 :Thmbsup: Thanks for all suggestions. I first start with ERASER.
I just downloaded ERASER and read all the instructions. But before I just push the YES button I´m a bit worried if I will not delete TOO MUCH. I will just free space AND ALSO ´overwrite´ (or something like that) already deleted files.
Now I get a screen (see screenshot) and I get a bit nervous: can you have a look that I can certainly hit the YES-button? :huh:
I made the screenprint with the .... Screenshot Captor! (Perfect).
Greetings and thanks so far, Pitr Paulus.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version