ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Out, damned WiFi spot! Out, I say!

<< < (3/4) > >>

cranioscopical:
So maybe it is a currently active network nearby that is being redetected..
--- End quote ---

I'm a duffer at this (could you tell?  :))

Gentlemen,

1) Would redetected networks show up with the specific names that I'd allocated to them? I'll trawl the registry and see if and where those names are still present.

2) If other machines on my network retain the names of the defunct connections, would that 're-infect' the machine from which the names were expunged?

If it takes a man a week to walk a fortnight...

Ath:
Is there possibly a wifi-repeater active, still re-publishing the now no longer available SSID?

cranioscopical:
Is there possibly a wifi-repeater active, still re-publishing the now no longer available SSID?
-Ath (July 10, 2019, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's a very good thought!
I'll look into it as soon as I recover from the latest Win 10 debacle; it nuked my main computer (again, <sigh>). Thank goodness for daily back-ups!

Stoic Joker:
So maybe it is a currently active network nearby that is being redetected..
--- End quote ---

1) Would redetected networks show up with the specific names that I'd allocated to them? I'll trawl the registry and see if and where those names are still present.-cranioscopical (July 10, 2019, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

If it is a popular in the area ISP generated name, then it could be the neighbors just close enough to look the same SSID.

2) If other machines on my network retain the names of the defunct connections, would that 're-infect' the machine from which the names were expunged?-cranioscopical (July 10, 2019, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

While I'm really tempted to say no here …(at the risk of throwing gas on the fire)... It does occur to me that there was a feature similar to that built into Windows devices that shared a Microsoft Account login.

But I believe the act of deleting it from one should also be shared with the others as well. I never played with it because I hate the vary idea of a locally used (Microsoft Controlled) Microsoft Account...I just vaguely recall running across the feature once many moons ago.

Also I really like Ath's angle above.

cranioscopical:
Removed extender.
Disconnected other machines from the network.
Got my only neighbour (not close) to shut down for a brief trial.
Killed all relevant registry entries.
Rebboted and...

No dice.
Since, for all practical purposes, this is only cosmetic I'll live with it until I stumble across a solution.

Thanks to you all for your help. Please post here if any other suggestions occur to you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version