ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 7 always slow after idle

<< < (5/6) > >>

BGM:
I called MSI tech support, and they say they've only gotten Windows 7 to work on this board in 25% of their tests.  The tech says the lag probably comes from the Win7 OS not playing well with the motherboard.  Of course, he has to say something like that since Microsoft doesn't want to support Win7 and have paid the manufacturers to not support Win7 on their hardware.

I'm kind of stuck.  I hate Win10 and don't want to upgrade, and don't want to rebuild the system.

Cloq:
@BGM

I too dislike W10.. and purposefully haven't bought new hardware (using intel gen 6 processor). That being said,  5 months down the road.. you won't have a choice.

Is it worth the stress and headaches trying to make your hardware run an OS that isn't  "properly" supported anymore? I am not trying to discourage you, just food for thought.

Either upgrade to W10 or Linux (Mac is another expensive option), assuming you want your OS to be security patched and vendor supported (drivers and such).

Little OT.. What really ticks me off is that software now is being (artificially in most cases) written for W10 build specific (1607, 1709, 1809 blah blah).

Cloq:
Does it matter if I'm running IRST? 
-BGM (August 14, 2019, 04:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is very possible that when you update your bios, it resets to default settings and sata raid isn't typically the default setting. to be on the safe side, I probably call MSI and ask them if updating bios affect any raid settings.

The Z370 chipset supports sata raid. Updating the bios shouldn't affect the usability of it, unless as mentioned above, settings get reset to default. It would be very crappy move on the vendors part if they wiped out raid pertinent settings.

I can already see this from a mobo vender.. oh hey.. urgent update your bios to mitigate intel's latest cpu vulnerabilities.. oh btw your will lose all your raid configs.  :o

Shades:
I can already see this from a mobo vender.. oh hey.. urgent update your bios to mitigate intel's latest cpu vulnerabilities.. oh btw your will lose all your raid configs.  :o
-Cloq (August 14, 2019, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you are afraid of that, don't use the built-in RAID options of your motherboard. Either get a dedicated 3rd party RAID card or go the software RAID route.

In case you go for dedicated hardware, buy two of the (exact) same cards. That will save you a lot of money when you want to retrieve data from your RAID setup when (not if) it fails. Data retrieval from RAID drives is difficult, time-consuming and therefore really expensive. You think that extra card is expensive? You easily pay 2 or 3 times that price before the data retrieval company even wants to look at the RAID mess you got. Advantage from dedicated RAID hardware is speed. You think you have good speed with the built-in RAID hardware? Dedicated hardware trumps it. Easily.

Software RAID is also quite fast, only slightly less than the built-in RAID hardware. It is more stable, usually relatively easy to repair/reconstruct and won't be affected by a BIOS update. I am running one for over 14 years already (on a Linux machine) and has not failed on me. At one time the original motherboard got fried after the unstable grid fried both the UPS and the motherboard. Maybe I should have said baked the UPS, as there was a small, but nonetheless open fire involved.

It was running on a Intel-based mobo and there was only a spare AMD-based mobo available. Swapped out the motherboards and started the machine back up. It showed warning messages about the different hardware that was detected, then the Linux software downloaded whatever drivers it needed automatically and one reboot later the whole server, including the software RAID, was spinning like nothing had happened. That was the experience I had with Ubuntu Server LTS.

Before I changed to that distro, the company decided that it should run on CentOS as that was the distro other developers were using to develop on. The hours of rebuilding the RAID that were lost after grid "hiccups" with that distro...amazing in a very bad way.

Of course, my experiences are anecdotal, but in this place no more CentOS. Ever.

On a side note: Had to do the same trick on the mail server I run on-premise, only now from AMD to Intel, worked again with Ubuntu Server LTS. Oh, there is something to mention, none of my Linux servers have a GUI installed. I assumed that helped a lot when swapping motherboards/processors.

Anyway, the software RAID does improve the speed and reliability of the data you store on it. And in my experience way more stable than any hardware based RAID solution.

Although, nowadays I wouldn't even consider RAID. The file systems: BRTFS, ZFS and the like, have practically all good qualities of RAID already built into them. Makes RAID redundant (pun intended). Just get fast drives.

Linux and BSD operating systems have the option to install these new file systems, if those aren't already included in the OS. While Windows is still stuck with the NTFS file system. Sure, you have a choice between NTFS and FAT32. Two aging systems. Yes, I am aware the NTFS has gotten a lot of new features over the years, and it is reliable within reason, but having the possibility to add different file systems would have been very welcome by now. When Windows Vista was being developed ("LongHorn", anyone?), Microsoft happily announced they were busy developing a new file system that would do most of what BTRFS/ZFS can do. Yet MS couldn't kill that attempt of progress quickly enough. Instead, only a small subset of those features have found their way into NTFS. Better the devil you know, I'll guess.

[/rant]

BGM:
I too dislike W10.. and purposefully haven't bought new hardware (using intel gen 6 processor). That being said,  5 months down the road.. you won't have a choice.
Is it worth the stress and headaches trying to make your hardware run an OS that isn't  "properly" supported anymore? I am not trying to discourage you, just food for thought.
Either upgrade to W10 or Linux (Mac is another expensive option), assuming you want your OS to be security patched and vendor supported (drivers and such).
-Cloq (August 14, 2019, 08:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have to use Windows and not linux, because I am a global administrator for our office365 platform.
Yeah, I know Windows 7 "expires" in 2020, but I'm thinking of continuing to use it anyway.  We have a good firewall and I'm not worried about assaults on an old OS.
However, I do understand that as software advances, sooner or later, I won't be able to get software that will work on Win7 - just like it is happening now for WinXP.
But this is a different discussion.
Right now I don't want to discuss Win10, because it diverts from my current objectives of getting Win7 to work flawlessly on this partiuclar board.
B&H suggested this board to me for Win7, and they led me astray, and now I have to deal with it (Win10 aside).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version