ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 7 always slow after idle

<< < (4/6) > >>

BGM:
Ah! That did the trick, actually!  In my BIOS there is a switch for AHCI/RAID and I had to change it back to RAID.  Shewwie! Thanks for that tip.  I figured it was something simple like that, and in other threads I read about that too with error 7b. 

But it's so much different when you get advice from a place like DC.  It's kind of like living in the same town.  When I look at y'all's member block and see "Joined in 2006" with over 2000 posts then I know you are probably a decent advisor.

Okay, now that it's working, The MSI page says for compatibility, that my i5-8600K is only compatible with bios version 7B49v10.  The latest BIOS is 7B49v19.  I know that compatibility just usually means what they support - do you think a newer BIOS will work for this board anyway?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-PC-PRO#down-bios

Cloq:
@BGM

It should be fine updating the BIOS. Modern motherboards are designed to support at least a generation or two of processors. Typically they are limited by socket type. Reading downloadable PDF Manual for your MB, it says Intel 8 Gen processors. If your current bios is v10.. yeah you would definitely benefit from bios update. Each version up seems to add/fix compatibility issues.

Mobo's generally aren't locked to just one processor, it's generally a generation or two (depending.. in the case of AMD.. they are pretty awesome in how many generations one slot type can support).

Yes.. different vendors play games with (sata operation) AHCI/RAID settings. Especially laptops.. had my share of games that vendors play. Machine has 1 HD yet.. one model has to be AHCI and the other RAID.

Glad you are up and running.

BGM:
I'll try updating the BIOS again - maybe it *will* help some.  I think it will work.

4wd:
The MSI page says for compatibility, that my i5-8600K is only compatible with bios version 7B49v10.-BGM (August 13, 2019, 08:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

You want this page: CPU Compatibility

The i5-8600(T/K) is listed which means it's supported until they say it's dropped from the BIOS in later versions - which they haven't.

ie. The version listed against a CPU is the minimum version of the BIOS required to support that CPU.

BGM:
@4wd - yes, I was reading that page.

Okay, so, I tried updating the bios past v10, but any other bios says my RAID configuration is invalid and won't boot Windows.
Does it matter if I'm running IRST?  I don't have any RAID configuration set up beyond that.  IRST uses an SSD to accelarate my C drive HDD.  Maybe I have to disable that first, before I update the bios?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version