ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows 7 always slow after idle

<< < (3/6) > >>

Cloq:
Have tried looking into your power settings options?

Disable HD sleep (Turn off HD after x minutes.. set to 0)
Set link state power management to off

Wouldn't hurt to see if there is a bios upgrade to your MB. From experience, I have had several quirky (USB issues, memory compatibility, AHCI) things magically fixed after doing a bios update.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-PC-PRO#down-bios

BGM:
I think it has to do with RamBox.  Or at least Rambox seems to trigger it.  Sometimes I have to close it and then look for some other not-often-used application to exit out of, and the combination will sometimes free up the lag.  I've already disabled HD sleep.

I'm sort of afraid to update BIOS - my processor, as I've mentioned, doesn't officially support Windows 7.  I'm using Winddows 7 Professional SP1.7601 with an Intel if-8600K (not overclocked).  BIOS is American Megatrends 1.00, 9/4/2017  (custom machine) on a MS-7B49 board.

Right now, the non-supportableness seems to be limited to the use of the onboard graphics card - I can't use it because there are no Win7 drivers for the processor.  So I have to use 2 PCI graphics cards to support my three monitors.

@Cloq - so according to the page you linked me to, I AM behind in BIOS versions.  The latest is 7B49v17, and I'm using 7B49 - I guess v1?
Do you think it would be safe?  I mean, do you think it will impose some strange restriction?

BGM:
OH, NOW I'VE DONE IT.  I tried to flash the bios and it was too new, and Windows wouldn't boot past the loading screen and then gave a BSOD of 7b.  But I had also tried to install an updated Intel Management Engine which failed.  So I flashed back the original bios, but now I still can't boot into windows - neither normal nor safe mode.

I tried system restore, but it isn't working.  I used the install disk and ran startup repair, but it didn't fix it - talks about not finding the boot disk (the 7b error's definition, actually).

I think it's a driver, because when I boot into safe mode, it always stops when it loads the drivers. 

I've got a PE running and and doing chkdsk and sfc at the moment.

Shades:
Is the BIOS setup to expect your boot drive to be in a specific (SATA) port on your motherboard, while it is physically connected to a different (SATA) port?

If so, turn your PC completely off and either change the hard disk cable of your boot drive to be in the configured port, or adjust the configuration to expect the drive to be in the port that it is currently connected to. Whatever you feel is the most easy to do.

Some motherboards come with 2 different SATA chip-sets. It might be the case that your hard disk is connected to the one that is not allowed or able to boot from after the BIOS update. It always helps to read the change log from the BIOS update you upload into the BIOS of your motherboard. It might be that lots of people encountered problems when booting with older BIOS versions and that they chose to disable booting from the problematic SATA chip-set.

4wd:
I've usually found that when I've done a BIOS update, changed/reset BIOS, moved a system drive to another motherboard, or something similar and the system crashes on Windows start consistently (including in Safe Mode) then I've done something stupid like specified AHCI i.l.o. SATA (or v.v.) in the BIOS.

Changing it back to SATA (or AHCI) has normally fixed the problem - this can also apply to any 3rd party SATA i/face chipsets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version