ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for AsciiDoc editor

<< < (4/5) > >>

Nod5:
I confess I hadn't heard about AsciiDoc until reading this thread.

I then read https://asciidoctor.org/docs/what-is-asciidoc/ which asks two questions "What is AsciiDoc? Why do we need it?" but doesn't answer the most important question: why AsciiDoc rather than the much, much more common MarkDown?

I then found https://asciidoctor.org/docs/asciidoc-vs-markdown/ and while mighty sceptical when starting reading I actually came out thinking AsciiDoc has some nice features. But mark down my words: I sure won't be an early adopter.

wraith808:
Nod5 summarizes my path through finding out about AsciiDoc quite well.

Shades:
It was the same here. For my own uses I run a wiki and would have been happy to keep documentation that way. Mark down would have been my second choice at that time. And at that point in time I had never heard of (or cared about) AsciiDoc either.

But I have been going through the manuals of both Mark Down and AsciiDoc, have gotten quite some experience with Asciidoc and it is easier to write documentation in AsciiDoc and the syntax is more human-readable than Mark Down (especially when you start to use more complicated items/structures in your documentation).

By all means, keep using what you are familiar with. This whole thread started as a question, but could be seen as a reference or starting point now. For those in need, of course. And if I find new and/or better tooling for working with AsciiDoc, I'll update this thread again.

ewemoa:
Somehow I missed the extensive experience report -- thanks a lot of that, Shades.

Luckily, I only have small docs to work on ATM.

Nod5:
This whole thread started as a question, but could be seen as a reference or starting point now. For those in need, of course. And if I find new and/or better tooling for working with AsciiDoc, I'll update this thread again.
-Shades (September 01, 2019, 11:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for documenting your experiences - useful! I hope plaintext readable document formats in general get more widely adopted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version