ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Automatic Screenshotter

Capturing Black Window

(1/2) > >>

bsterner:
Hello,

I am monitoring a software application and using your software to see what error messages a user is receiving while using that app. I noticed while monitoring this application i get a black window. It is happening while the application on screen is not being used. I am monitoring in "Active window or desktop if none" and i do have the option checked for blank window contents. Is there any way to stop seeing these?

Capturing Black Window

mouser:
Can you elaborate a little on what is happening and what you would like to happen?

bsterner:
Thanks for the reply,

I have a workstation that runs a application on it that users are using early in the morning. The users are receiving random error messages so im using your Automatic Screenshotter to capture those error messages. Everything is working great however im getting random screenshots of the application that is a black window. It mostly is happening when the software is sitting idle. When i check the directory ill have 100+ black window screenshots. I wanted to know if the application can somehow ignore these black windows. I attached a screenshot on the original thread.

mouser:
So I still have a few questions in my attempt to understand what is happening:

Is the window supposed to be black? You say there are 100+ black window screenshots -- are they identical?  Or is there something in the window that is changing that is making AS think the contents have changed?

What is that window that AS is having a hard time capturing? Is it video? (video players can use advanced overlays that screen capture apps can't see)? Or is some security program blocking screenshots of it for some reason?

I guess I'm trying to understand if the problem is that AS is capturing black windows when it should be capturing the content, or if AS is saving multiple copies of a blank window which is not changing, which it shouldn't be doing, or some combination..

If you don't care about that application you can tell AS to ignore it.. But that seems like a workaround.. I'd like to understand where AS is messing up.

I'm assuming in the capture rules you have AS set to Ignore changes of less than X pixels with X set to some non-zero value.
You might try disabling the option on Capture Options tab to "Also capture whenever the active window changes".

bsterner:
I appreciate the help. The window is not normally black. It will show one screenshot of the window perfect and the next one will be black and the next one will be the window normal. It does this over and over again while the app is idle. It seems like maybe the AS is catching a redraw of the app. I attached both images so you can see it.
Capturing Black Window

Capturing Black Window

Of course both windows look different and i would prefer the black out one to not be taken. Its not a video. Here is my settings
Capturing Black Window

Capturing Black Window

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version