ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Need Video Doorbell Options

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
My front doorbell is just out (think there's an electrical problem) so I want to put another bell out front that can ring inside and downstairs.  As I'm currently in a rental (always best IMO to rent when you first move), I don't really want to deal with the landlord or an electrician over this...

Stoic Joker:
@Shades - Holy crap man, you never disappoint!

To give a bit more (non) detail... The situation is playing out live so the solution is in reactional flux based on randomly changing factors**. One of which was resolved by one of my - very non technical/biker type - friends who came up with a brilliantly simple low tech solution that had me in tears laughing last night due to its (in retrospect) obvious simplicity. I'll not say what it was, primarily because it's a tad embarrassing that I didn't think of it before. :-[

So for the full (and future) system I will (at this point...) probably go with a wired with DRV type setup that won't need a doorbell cam. Which leaves the immediate need - as a stop gap measure - being an economically good quality video doorbell that can be repurposed later at a different location/project/etc.. That also bell transformer powered, and works with the Windows version of the software you mentioned above. I did not think about that part before (Rush jobs bad - Yikes!).

I hope this makes sense as I'm (at work...) really pressed for time and trying to rush.

Thank you,

Stoic Joker

Shortest explanation I can muster: It involves family, a woman, and it's perfectly legal (so far..). Savvy? :D

Stoic Joker:
My front doorbell is just out (think there's an electrical problem) so I want to put another bell out front that can ring inside and downstairs.  As I'm currently in a rental (always best IMO to rent when you first move), I don't really want to deal with the landlord or an electrician over this...
-wraith808 (May 01, 2019, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Understood... I've heard good things about the Ring devices (that's the one with the 6 month battery IIRC), and they will push the video to/through Alexa or dump it on an onboard SSD.

Shades:
XProtect+ - That was the one I was missing. Free version supports 8(!) cameras and is by far the most extensive piece of software. That comes at heavy "price", you'll need a dedicated PC with Windows (Server edition), needs 8GByte of RAM minimum for OS and background services (IIS and SQL Server). You still need 1GByte of RAM extra per connected camera. Even the installer is 2GByte in size and if you want encoding you'll need a midrange video card or better as well.

But I must say, it really is by far the best looking and powerful piece of software I found.

wraith808:
-wraith808 (May 01, 2019, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Understood... I've heard good things about the Ring devices (that's the one with the 6 month battery IIRC), and they will push the video to/through Alexa or dump it on an onboard SSD.
-Stoic Joker (May 01, 2019, 09:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought all of the ring devices had to be hooked up to the power line.  I'll have to take another look!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version