ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I know this has been done but not sure where to find it quickly.

<< < (2/2)

Shades:
Gentlemen, may I present: MultiCommander. The link describes the 'Search' functionality from this freeware file manager, but there are a lot more things possible.

With Directory Opus it is pretty easy to find where the differences in a folder structure are. You can enable a function to automatically count the size of a folder and it appears very quickly in view next to the folder name. MultiCommander has similar functionality. While not as smooth as in Directory Opus, it does work. You can then use the dual pane view, point each of the pane to the folders you want to compare and start the folder size counter. Identifying which folder is different becomes pretty simple.

If you have often these kind of jobs, just as Directory Opus, MultiCommander has scripting options and it allows you to create buttons that allow you to unleash (your own) scripts on the file(s)/folder(s) you have selected. Again, it isn't as smooth as Directory Opus in this regard either, but as freeware file managers go, this is a seriously impressive feature. You can even link batch scripts to buttons with the included editor.

Granted, initially it is more work to get the immediate job done, but I think that with a bit of digging and tweaking, you'll have a Swiss pocket-knife of a tool to do some serious work with files at the touch of a few buttons.

4wd:
even Beyond compare is reporting at least 45 minutes to complete the comparison run-questorfla (April 16, 2019, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're doing it the hard way, set BeyondCompare to display differences only, don't have it automatically compare contents, load the folder trees into it, (one a side), then just look for folders that are tinted red or blue, expand those folders until the file differences are displayed.

Takes less than a minute because you can do it while it's running through the basic folder comparison.

Tinted blue: an item doesn't exist in the other tree (name)
Tinted red: an item in one tree differs from the same item in the other tree (date/time, size)

eg. Less than 10 seconds on my netbook for a simple folder difference highlight:
I know this has been done but not sure where to find it quickly.

anandcoral:
even Beyond compare is reporting at least 45 minutes to complete the comparison run-questorfla (April 16, 2019, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're doing it the hard way, set BeyondCompare to display differences only, don't have it automatically compare contents, load the folder trees into it, (one a side), then just look for folders that are tinted red or blue, expand those folders until the file differences are displayed.

Takes less than a minute because you can do it while it's running through the basic folder comparison.

Tinted blue: an item doesn't exist in the other tree (name)
Tinted red: an item in one tree differs from the same item in the other tree (date/time, size)

eg. Less than 10 seconds on my netbook for a simple folder difference highlight:
-4wd (April 17, 2019, 01:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. This is the correct way and I do it frequently, while synchronizing backups from office and home.

Regards,

Anand

ConstanceJill:
I'd use FreeFileSync. See how it looks : https://freefilesync.org/screenshots.php

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version