topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 11 Messes Up Umlauts like Ä Ö etc. in Palm Desktop  (Read 1242 times)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello,

I have been using Palm Desktop now for over 20 years, since I have customized the fields so much, that it would be a really big PITA to migrate my data of 5000 contacts to another PIM.

I used Day-Timer Organizer with its superb Palm synch integration having built my database starting with DTOs DOS predecessor Instant Recall, and after Day-Timer Organizer stopped working, I was able to synch the dataset through my Palm with Palm Desktop and then worked with the Palm Desktop ever since even after I ditched my Palms.

Now I bought a new Minis Forum PC and even though it was advertised to have Win 10, it came with Win 11 pre-installed. So I thought I give it a try and I wasn't expecting any incompatibilities but it totally messed up my Palm Desktop database.

Palm Desktop under Windows 11 cannot display Umlauts like Ä or Ö any more. Instead of an Ä I have now Ä in my database, which is getting increasingly worse, since it seems every time I edit the data, some more funny letters are added.

Checking Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support under Windows 11 Settings - Region - Administrative - Change System Locale did not help.

Would anyone know what I can do to make the Palm Desktop work?

It functioned flawlessly under all versions of Window 10. I can't figured out what changed in Windows 11, that I am having this problem.

Regards, Brahman
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 09:57 PM by brahman »