topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Slow Windows load even with SSD  (Read 2836 times)

anhphuong

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Slow Windows load even with SSD
« on: February 13, 2019, 07:31 PM »
Some 2 or 3 weeks ago I started having this problem. The Windows loading screen, which did not take 5 seconds before, now takes several minutes. Once logged in to OS, everything works fine.

I do not know if it has to do, but worth mentioning: I changed my 1TB HD (many bad sectors) for a 240GB Kingston SSD (SA400S37240G) about 1 year ago. As I'm not spacious use it just as storage device. I had never had an SSD before, so my experience was one of the best, I do not know how I got so long without.

I've run benchmark tests (Data LifeGuard, CrystalDiskInfo, and CrystalDiskMark) on the SSD, and they've all looked healthy and perfectly functional. I've run around several antivirus and antispyware (ESET, Norton Rescue Tool, CCleaner, SUPERAntispyware, Karspersky and Windows Defender, of course). They found one or another suspect or allegedly dangerous file, but they did not solve the problem. I also ran Defraggler to see the level of fragmentation (17%) as a curiosity, since as far as I know, fragmentation, for an SSD, makes no difference.

Everything indicates that SSD is not the culprit, but I do not know everything and I'm here because of it. Thanks for your help.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Slow Windows load even with SSD
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 09:25 PM »
First thing would be to find out what other programs are starting, in Windows 10 open the Task Manager->More Details->Start-up tab - it'll list programs that are starting at boot and how much they impact system start.

There's also autoruns from Microsoft.

From either one you can disable the various programs and see if there's one/some that are impacting startup a lot, it may be that they don't need to run at startup at all.

It might help if you mention what version of Windows you're talking about. :)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:29 PM »
Are you sure nothing crept into the startup sequence of your Windows installation? 

If for instance something got placed there that insists on "phoning home", but fails to do so, that something could wait till 30 seconds before it fails and allows the startup sequence to continue. That max of 30 seconds is a remnant of the TCP protocol and this is by design. Anyway, if you have more than one of those items in that sequence, that adds up quickly. There might also be software in that sequence that want to write logging or other things to it's own database, which might not be accessible at that particular moment in the startup sequence. Such things can introduce long waiting times too.

SSD's need TRIM, not a defragger. And sufficient free space in each of the partitions you or the Windows installer created on it. 10% to 20% of free space in the partition(s) of your drive keeps the drive and the file system (NTFS most likely) much "happier".

Besides, for "funsies", you should introduce a 30 second wait into the boot sequence. In your mind that feels much longer than it actually is. Same with loading a page from the internet. No matter how fast, it quickly feels slow regardless. Yet when you start a task that you know can take time, a possible extra 30 seconds doesn't seem that bad. Why perceive the same amount of time so differently while working on a computer...

You could try to boot your system in safe mode and see if that is also slow.
When that is also the case, it is most likely you'll need to dig into Windows and its event viewer to find out what kind of errors occur in that startup sequence.
If safe mode is fast, then it is most likely that one (or more) item(s) in your startup sequence is the culprit. In any case, you should have a better idea where to start looking for the actual cause.

** edit ** 
Ah 4wd was faster. The suggested tools in his post are very helpful in disabling items in your startup sequence.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 08:30 AM »
(cleaned up and locked thread.  OP left unbanned for now)