ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kill me if you want (buying good, cheap and pretty two hard disks)

<< < (4/5) > >>

highend01:
Have you done a search?
--- End quote ---
Rofl, seriously?

tomos:
Have you done a search?
--- End quote ---
Rofl, seriously?
-highend01 (February 26, 2019, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
it was more of a suggestion than a question.

Contro:
I am consulting in super specialized forums.
I have changed the ssd disk to Crucial. The difference is about 70 $.
I am trying finally to obtain the hitachi 10 TB. Almost all forums tells me I can use. Only Asus denies, but Asus understand its compatibility list as the hard drives they have tested. That usually are a few from other suppliers and all they have.
They do the same with the ssd disk and the laptop. So when they say something is interested.
The problem is that i can't trust in any supplier. I prefer to trust in customers . So I am delaying the decission until I find a really understanding customer.
An additional problem I have is only a few suppliers for Canary Islands. And sometimes they serve but don't tramit the taxes...

Best Regards

Ath:
The problem is that i can't trust in any supplier. I prefer to trust in customers . So I am delaying the decission until I find a really understanding customer.
-Contro (February 27, 2019, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sorry if I sound a little harsh (and I may be repeating myself...), but why are you asking for approval (that's what it sounds like to me, instead of advice), and already order the goods without waiting for or taking any of the tips you can have here?
If that's you way of proceeding, then just tell us what you bought, including photos, and why, Spoilerwithout cluttering the forum with endless rants and irrelevant info.
>:(

Shades:
Hardware in laptops is pretty set during the design period and in 99.9% of cases cannot be altered once production has started.

The hardware parts in the laptop have their physical limitations and some imposed by not willing or being able to get licensing right for certain functionality in the hardware parts. There is also expectation of the manufacturer. Most people don't have/want hardware support for the latest/greatest hardware, if that means that they have to pay (a lot) more for laptops. And as laptops prices are always a fight to the bottom, whatever the manufacturer can skimp on, they will.

2 TByte as max storage capacity means they can save quite some money on licensing/patents etc. On a general note: 10 TByte drives are more intended for use in desktops/servers, not laptops. Servers/desktops have more options to get rid of excessive heat. Something that laptops by definition have not. Besides that, 10 TByte storage in a laptop...never a good idea. Chances of data-loss or theft become way too high. And if you really have such huge files to process, you will be much more productive on a properly outfitted workstation than on any laptop.

As the forums say that you can use the drive, how do they mean that? The BIOS/UEFI hardware in your laptop may be limited to 2 TByte. So it may be the case that you cannot use all of the drive, or only have partitions on it that are limited to max 2 Tbyte. So regarding usability of 10 TByte drives in your Asus laptop, you better ask what is meant by being usable and if that fits with your expectations. Likely those are not matched.

Laptops, they are better than nothing....but not by much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version