ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kill me if you want (buying good, cheap and pretty two hard disks)

<< < (5/5)

app103:
Be very careful about buying cheap storage (hard drives, ssd, sd cards, flash drives, etc.) especially if they are advertised as having a high capacity. Even if it appears to be a reputable brand. They may not be as advertised, and you might not find out till later, when you lose your data.

A lot of these drives are actually small capacity, and have firmware that erroneously reports them as being much larger than they really are, and copying files to it just loops around when it's full, and overwrites older files, without your knowledge, causing major file corruption.

And manufacturers don't honor warranties on counterfeits of their products, so you won't even get a replacement when it fails.

And if you think you are safe buying them from Amazon, just know that the same merchants that are selling this crap on Wish, Aliexpress, Ebay, etc. also sell it on Amazon and other sites. (always buy a reputable brand, sold and shipped by Amazon, themselves, to avoid the counterfeits and scams)

Contro:
Hardware in laptops is pretty set during the design period and in 99.9% of cases cannot be altered once production has started.

The hardware parts in the laptop have their physical limitations and some imposed by not willing or being able to get licensing right for certain functionality in the hardware parts. There is also expectation of the manufacturer. Most people don't have/want hardware support for the latest/greatest hardware, if that means that they have to pay (a lot) more for laptops. And as laptops prices are always a fight to the bottom, whatever the manufacturer can skimp on, they will.

2 TByte as max storage capacity means they can save quite some money on licensing/patents etc. On a general note: 10 TByte drives are more intended for use in desktops/servers, not laptops. Servers/desktops have more options to get rid of excessive heat. Something that laptops by definition have not. Besides that, 10 TByte storage in a laptop...never a good idea. Chances of data-loss or theft become way too high. And if you really have such huge files to process, you will be much more productive on a properly outfitted workstation than on any laptop.

As the forums say that you can use the drive, how do they mean that? The BIOS/UEFI hardware in your laptop may be limited to 2 TByte. So it may be the case that you cannot use all of the drive, or only have partitions on it that are limited to max 2 Tbyte. So regarding usability of 10 TByte drives in your Asus laptop, you better ask what is meant by being usable and if that fits with your expectations. Likely those are not matched.

Laptops, they are better than nothing....but not by much.

-Shades (March 02, 2019, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
I am trying the 2 TB SSD drive for the laptop
The 10 TB HDD for the desktop
The 10 TB HDD first selected cannot be delivered to canary islands. Have good applauses from almost everybody.
The 2 TB SSD was discalified by some and decided to cancel the shipment.

At this moment Shades I have received three units pendrive 256 GB and i am testing. The first fails...  :-[

I am not very glad with the 128 GB pendrive I bought some days ago. May be my fault for copying the files from one pendrive to another. But trying.

But those are other posts and I will comment in those posts...
 :-*

Contro:
Be very careful about buying cheap storage (hard drives, ssd, sd cards, flash drives, etc.) especially if they are advertised as having a high capacity. Even if it appears to be a reputable brand. They may not be as advertised, and you might not find out till later, when you lose your data.

A lot of these drives are actually small capacity, and have firmware that erroneously reports them as being much larger than they really are, and copying files to it just loops around when it's full, and overwrites older files, without your knowledge, causing major file corruption.

And manufacturers don't honor warranties on counterfeits of their products, so you won't even get a replacement when it fails.

And if you think you are safe buying them from Amazon, just know that the same merchants that are selling this crap on Wish, Aliexpress, Ebay, etc. also sell it on Amazon and other sites. (always buy a reputable brand, sold and shipped by Amazon, themselves, to avoid the counterfeits and scams)
-app103 (March 02, 2019, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ejem....

Certainly is a risk.
So i am testing in this moment a pendrive of 256 GB. I will inform you when open the corresponding post in detail.

Contro:
The problem is that i can't trust in any supplier. I prefer to trust in customers . So I am delaying the decission until I find a really understanding customer.
-Contro (February 27, 2019, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sorry if I sound a little harsh (and I may be repeating myself...), but why are you asking for approval (that's what it sounds like to me, instead of advice), and already order the goods without waiting for or taking any of the tips you can have here?
If that's you way of proceeding, then just tell us what you bought, including photos, and why, Spoilerwithout cluttering the forum with endless rants and irrelevant info.
>:(
-Ath (February 28, 2019, 01:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
Don't worry. Be happy.
Is not my intention bother you.

Contro:
At this moment I have no much time to post. Too much work.
But I compromise to inform you.
I finally don't buy any of the hard drives.
I continue with this project and I will inform you with the results.
About the 2 TB for my laptop I have to say is interesting if the actual hardisk fails. I am using an external hard drives for over space.

Best Regards.
P.D. I am searching for the post I did about high capacity pendrives. For me have benn a complete disaster and bad moments.
Like app103 told me I am cancelling shopping with Ali Express because its politics and defense of sellers of fake material.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version