ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Turbo C and Turbo Pascal are back!!

(1/5) > >>

mouser:
This is big news for those of us who grew up learning to program using Turbo C or Turbo Pascal (or Turbo Assembler).

Borland announced a while ago that they were spinning off their programming development division to an independent company (unnamed as of yet).

Yesterday they announced that they are gong to release more individual-oriented versions of their top-of-the-line compilers/development tools Delphi and C++ Builder, under the old "Turbo" moniker, including free versions and highly discounted educational versions.

I use C++ Builder for most of my big projects and I am a real fan, so I think this is kind of cool news for new coders.  Definitely worth a try if you haven't tried them yet..

http://www.turboexplorer.com/TurbosPressRelease.htm

David Intersimone, vice president of developer relations and chief evangelist at Borland, said the Turbo product set includes Turbo Delphi for Win32, Turbo Delphi for .Net, Turbo C++ and Turbo C#. Each version will be available in two editions: Turbo Explorer, a free downloadable version; and Turbo Professional, a version priced at less than $500, he said.

"And with the Explorer Edition we're going to blanket the earth for beginners, students, hobbyists, nontraditional programmers who still need to do some programming [and] people who need to learn additional languages to ramp up their skill set," Intersimone said.

Turbo Delphi, Turbo Delphi for .Net, Turbo C++ and Turbo C# will be generally available in the third quarter of this year, said Michael Swindell, senior director of product management for the Borland Developer Tools Group. Borland is offering student academic pricing for the Turbo Professional editions of these products that will be under $100. More information can be found at www.turboexplorer.com.
--- End quote ---

The new tools will be released in early september. See also:
http://www.turboexplorer.com
http://www.devsource.com/article2/0,1895,2000764,00.asp

Carol Haynes:
Wow good news ... I always loved Turbo Pascal (one of the reasons I fancy learning Delphi)

Rover:
Yippie!  Once again Turbo Pascal (Delphi) will rule the world!  :Thmbsup:  :up: :up: :up:

housetier:
In school I learned programming with Turbo Pasal. I was very productive with it but never really got the hang of object orientation in Turbo *.

Their IDEs were state of the art imho, very clean interface without nick-nacks. I don't know the state of their current IDEs but if they come close to Together (which they acquired some time ago) they must be supertop.

Anyway, I will watch with mild curiosity what's gonna happen to Turbo...

app103:
Looking at what they are offering with Turbo Delphi Explorer and comparing it to Delphi 6/7 Personal, here are the major similarities and differences that I can see, so far:

Available
as a free
downloadWrite
Database
ApplicationsInstall
3rd Party VCL
Into IDEDelphi 6/7 Personal
YesNoYesTurbo Delphi Explorer
YesYesNo
So in one way you get more with the new Turbo Delphi Explorer (database programming) and in one way you get less (can't install 3rd party VCL).

The comparison is the same between C++ Builder 6 Personal and the new Turbo C++ Explorer.

I also found this:
Note, though, that you can only install one of the four product types on a given machine; if you need to use multiple languages, Borland figures you're a candidate for the higher-end Borland Developer Studio product.
-http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ZDM/story?id=2283717
--- End quote ---

So you can't install Turbo Delphi and Turbo Delphi for .NET...only one or the other. You will have to choose.

If you don't plan on doing any database programming, or if you want both Delphi & C++,  I would go get the free download of the older personal editions now, while you still can.

C++ Builder 6 Personal (as part of a free Symbian SDK) - Just click "I agree" and it's yours...no registering needed, comes with the update. You CAN just install C++ Builder without installing the Nokia SDK.

Delphi 6 Personal - You will have to register on the Borland site for a free key, and you CAN get updates for it.
Delphi 7 Personal - You will have to register on the Borland site for a free key, and you are NOT entitled to any updates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version