ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

some useful but less-known software. share your list!!!

<< < (30/43) > >>

wraith808:
There are already extensions to Markdown- that's the reason for the CommonMark fiasco.  They wanted to standardize so that people could know that this version of Markdown was the supported version.  That was shot down by the creator in a passive-aggressive fashion.  So they just created CommonMark which is a semi-standard.  From what I saw in there, they're using the CommonMark short link annotation standard now.

From https://www.srid.ca/5b963b1c.html

Simplified linking syntax #59
Several users requested that the syntax for linking to zettels be simplified. To that extent, Neuron now supports the following style of links:

* This is a link to a zettel: <5b963b1c>.
* It will automatically expand to the Zettel title
  that is linked in the web interface.
In short, to link to a zettel whose ID is ā€œ5b963b1cā€, you only need to wrap it inside angle brackets. We are not using any special syntax here; this is what is known as Autolinks in the commomark spec. Neuron simply leverages existing linking syntax to allow you to link to zettels; and the Neuron renderer can automtically fill in the zettel title, and other metadata, during rendering stage.

--- End quote ---

Emphasis mine.  The github issue is https://github.com/srid/neuron/issues/59.  It references the syntax that you're referring to- they use this instead, so that's outdated.

Dormouse:
they just created CommonMark which is a semi-standard
-wraith808 (May 14, 2020, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
But it's not a standard, and not even the most common flavour from what I've seen. And it shows that a developer can hit a problem and just add an extension to deal with it.

I believe that the underlying problem is that markdown is not plain text. It's the old ram in a lambswool coat. Plain text is just text. When you start including display instructions, it stops being plain whatever symbols you use to add the instructions.

My own preference is always to keep text as text with display instructions separately.

wraith808:
they just created CommonMark which is a semi-standard
-wraith808 (May 14, 2020, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
But it's not a standard, and not even the most common flavour from what I've seen. And it shows that a developer can hit a problem and just add an extension to deal with it.

I believe that the underlying problem is that markdown is not plain text. It's the old ram in a lambswool coat. Plain text is just text. When you start including display instructions, it stops being plain whatever symbols you use to add the instructions.

My own preference is always to keep text as text with display instructions separately.
-Dormouse (May 15, 2020, 08:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Again, it's not a standard because of the stink around its genesis.  And I'd personally disagree on that point of separating the text from the markup- I've actually not seen it done totally separate in a way that makes even a modicum of sense.

x16wda:
Outwit is a collection of several command line utilities including winclip.exe, which I use to sort the contents of my clipboard. Copy the items you want, then "winclip -p | sort | winclip -c" to pull the contents, sort it, and push it back on the clipboard. There are far more utilities that put things onto the clipboard than pull them off.

I've also used Dolphin Text Editor Menu to do this. It adds a number of features whenever you're editing text, even in Notepad. Select the text and hit the hotkey and you get a pop up menu of options from sorting to changing case to removing leading or trailing blanks, etc.

panzer:
cryo is a visual file manager.

Navigate nested folder structures in a blink of an eye.

Privately transfer files ā€” peer to peer, end to end encrypted, no sign-up, no registration, no cloud:
https://cryonet.io/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version