ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Switching.social

(1/3) > >>

wraith808:
https://switching.social/ is a list of ethical(?), easy-to-use and privacy-conscious alternatives.  I (?) ethical because that seems to be biased to the views of the site when that estimation should be in the eyes of the beholder.  But there are quite a few alternatives on there that seem to be worth looking into that I'd not heard of before.

Deozaan:
Thanks! I perused a few of the links to see what they'd say about alternatives to a few things such as Windows, Office, and Chrome. They were all pretty much as I expected (Apple or Ubuntu, LibreOffice, and Firefox, respectively).

Also, I kind of hate the almost-but-not-quite Comic Sans font they use on their site. It makes it hard to read, IMO.

But when I looked at alternatives for Google Drive I found out about Nextcloud. :Thmbsup: I'll probably be setting up my own Nextcloud in the next few days to try it out.

wraith808:
I saw a few alternatives to gmail that I was going to look into.  I'd heard of Nextcloud before, but not Cryptpad, so I'm going to look into that also.

Shades:
I'm running a Nextcloud server (v13.x...still need to migrate it to v15, although v13 still gets updated) on a old Linux box. Until this point, I must say that it is a very good experience. Has a lot of features in and off itself, but can be expanded with 3rd party mods. In my setup hardly any mods have been added, I mainly use it to transfer files to it from another continent by script using CarotDAV.

For my intends and purposes it is such a good solution that I didn't bother looking at anything else anymore.

However, if you look for something less resource intensive, WebDAV is pretty simple and you could simply enable the WebDAV mod from the Apache web server software. And I'm sure it is a pretty standard feature on the other main web server software packages (IIS, NGinX). That is the most basic version of a web drive you will ever get. but not really recommended if security is of any concern. Nextcloud comes with already with pretty decent authorization options and offers more options for extra security if you so desire.

wraith808:
https://mastodon.at/tags/alternativesatoz

A series of toots by switching.social about different FOSS alternatives.

I currently have experience with writeFreely (excellent alternative for writing and having it federate or just using as a lightweight blog), PixelFed (Instagram alternative), Pinafore (alternative interface for Mastodon), PeerTube (alternative to Youtube), Friendica/Diaspora*/HubZilla (alternative social networks- I also use HubZilla for my RSS reader), open.audio (alternative to Soundcloud), and Cryptpad (alternative to Google Docs, operates similarly to f0dder's fSekrit but the pads are sharable). 

I don't go all in on the FOSS nor the privacy bit, but I use these because they are nice.  And the fact that you can own what you use in a different way than normal software has become appealing to me.  I don't have my own instances for all of these (in fact, right now I only have my own instance for Friendica and HubZilla), but the fact that I can do that with most of these is a really compelling idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version