ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Refurbished or used internal hard disks 3½ 6TB-12TB

<< < (3/6) > >>

Contro:
You can get for 100 dollars a 1 TB SSD in ebay , aliexpress, .....-Contro (February 04, 2019, 07:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Only really good for WORM-like (Write Once, Read Many - or more accurately, Write Minimally, Read Many) application I've found, eg. Steam Games library, data that doesn't get modified much, etc

I have a few of these types of SSD, (Netac, Ramsta, etc), ranging from 360GB->720GB, (a mix of 2D and 3D Flash technology - supposedly), and they are all DRAM-less designs, real world performance is variable.

Read performance can be anywhere between 290-520MB/s, write performance varies all over the place depending on what you're writing, (small/large files), but I've found it about on par with a good HDD for sustained writes, (sometimes worse).

Main use I have for them is:
Games library
Reasonably robust portable storage, (stick them in a case)
Ephemeral data, (I don't care if it disappears)

Certainly wouldn't trust anything non-replaceable, not backed up, or use them anywhere performance was a requirement.

Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSDs can be had for under AU$200 and prices may drop further given the recent emergence of QLC NAND technology, (which oddly enough, has similar characteristics - limited write performance, maximum read performance compared to something like the 860 EVO).
-4wd (February 04, 2019, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Are good to installa the windows operating system ?
Or are very cheap ? What do you think ?
How can I determine these features ?

Best Regards

Contro:
A link in ebay-amazon or aliexpress to a good and cheap ssd ?
 :-*

4wd:
Are good to installa the windows operating system ?
Or are very cheap ? What do you think ?
How can I determine these features ?-Contro (February 05, 2019, 04:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Reeino 960GB SSD for $83

Critical review of Reeino SSD:

You decide if your data is worth anything.

NOTE: I'm not recommending these SSDs one way or the other, do your research.

tomos:
A link in ebay-amazon or aliexpress to a good and cheap ssd ?
-Contro (February 05, 2019, 04:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
this is not a recommendation -- I saved these links a while back, but have done no further research on the drives:
Replace your slow hard drive with these $25 SSDs (PCWorld)
gets 4.5 stars on UK amazon with 400 reviews -- seems like a good result. I usually check out the negative reviews to see if they give more info.

They under 30€ for 128GB on amazon.de with delivery via amazon, so returns should be easy enough.

Just for the OS 128 or 256 would be enough for me. Make regular images of OS. Might be okay...

EDIT// lol there seems to be a lot of SSDs on offer on amazon at that price...

4wd:
For your OS get a decent SSD: Samsung 850/860 EVO, SanDisk Plus, or equivalent for a normal SATA SSD.

Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 for a more modern board with M.2 slots, (or use it with a PCIe adapter if you have PCIe v3), and your machine can boot off it.

128GB is more than enough for Windows 10 and quite a few programs, however, you may want to go bigger as SSDs generally work better if they have ~25-30% free space, (eg. don't get a 128GB SSD if your OS drive is currently using 100GB).

I've used one of these "cheap" SSDs as my OS drive, (Ramsta 480GB), they are slow compared to the Samsung I now have and the SanDisk I used to have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version