ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Refurbished or used internal hard disks 3½ 6TB-12TB

<< < (2/6) > >>

wraith808:
Refurbish doesn't necessarily mean repaired; it can mean something as simple as someone bought it and then returned it, they checked it and put it back out.  But I personally wouldn't take a chance.

Stoic Joker:
Don't know if they ship internationally, but ServerSupply.com has great prices on (new/used) drives of all kinds.

They currently have a 12TB SATA-6gbps 3.5" 7200rpm drive new for $395 (USD) - Sorry can't link to it the wat their site is designed, but it's really easy to find.

I'm not a fan of refurb drives either, but I have had occasion to use one or two from SS in a pinch because nobody else had any flavor of X in stock.

Contro:
Don't know if they ship internationally, but ServerSupply.com has great prices on (new/used) drives of all kinds.

They currently have a 12TB SATA-6gbps 3.5" 7200rpm drive new for $395 (USD) - Sorry can't link to it the wat their site is designed, but it's really easy to find.

I'm not a fan of refurb drives either, but I have had occasion to use one or two from SS in a pinch because nobody else had any flavor of X in stock.
-Stoic Joker (February 01, 2019, 07:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
I will take a look.
I see quicks changes in hard disks market. The ssd are lowing the price and probably only the very big conventional mechanical hard drives will be sold.
You can get for 100 dollars a 1 TB SSD in ebay , aliexpress, .....

:-*

Contro:
ServerSupply.com
-wraith808 (January 31, 2019, 09:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Understood.
 :-*

4wd:
You can get for 100 dollars a 1 TB SSD in ebay , aliexpress, .....-Contro (February 04, 2019, 07:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Only really good for WORM-like (Write Once, Read Many - or more accurately, Write Minimally, Read Many) application I've found, eg. Steam Games library, data that doesn't get modified much, etc

I have a few of these types of SSD, (Netac, Ramsta, etc), ranging from 360GB->720GB, (a mix of 2D and 3D Flash technology - supposedly), and they are all DRAM-less designs, real world performance is variable.

Read performance can be anywhere between 290-520MB/s, write performance varies all over the place depending on what you're writing, (small/large files), but I've found it about on par with a good HDD for sustained writes, (sometimes worse).

Main use I have for them is:
Games library
Reasonably robust portable storage, (stick them in a case)
Ephemeral data, (I don't care if it disappears)

Certainly wouldn't trust anything non-replaceable, not backed up, or use them anywhere performance was a requirement.

Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSDs can be had for under AU$200 and prices may drop further given the recent emergence of QLC NAND technology, (which oddly enough, has similar characteristics - limited write performance, maximum read performance compared to something like the 860 EVO).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version