ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Full Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi 3!

<< < (3/4) > >>

tomos:
It works!

I haven't tested anything yet. I don't have a mouse connected. But it just booted into the OS after I completed the initial setup using only the keyboard. And it works!
-Deozaan (February 12, 2019, 05:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
well done :-)

Deozaan:
well done :-)
-tomos (February 12, 2019, 05:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks!

I got a mouse connected and played around with some of the settings. There's no driver for the built-in WiFi chip, and I didn't find this guide with instructions on how to pre-configure the ethernet port to work until after I started flashing the image (which took 40-50 minutes), but I did manage to transfer the drivers onto the device using a thumb drive and got ethernet connected now.

Interestingly Windows activated itself automatically even though I didn't enter a license key or anything like that. I'm now attempting to download Windows Updates and we'll see if that will even work. It would be interesting to see if it will update from the version I installed (1803 build 17134.1) to a more recent version (1809) and still work properly. But I think that might not be possible in my current setup, since I used a 16GB microSD card for the installation and there's only 4GB of free space left.

And there's no GPU acceleration, so everything is fairly sluggish. Even so, it's kind of amusing to see running. There's something satisfying and amusing about getting something to run on hardware it was never really meant to run on. :D

Deozaan:
I've been playing around with it a bit more. It's really too sluggish to be worthwhile for anything other than the novelty at this point. Maybe speeds will improve as better drivers are released for faster access to the SD card or possible GPU acceleration.

As I previously wondered, I ran into some problems trying to install updates because I ran out of space on the SD card. So Windows 10 prompted me to free up some space by visiting the Storage section of Settings, and that's where I encountered something really strange.

Somehow the OS thinks the drive is 32GB when it is only 16GB...

Full Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi 3!

All that said, it was an interesting experiment and a fun diversion but I think I'm probably done with it (for now) because it is too sluggish to be usable compared to just running Raspbian or similar on the Pi.

Ath:
Maybe speeds will improve as better drivers are released for faster access to the SD card or possible GPU acceleration.
-Deozaan (February 13, 2019, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, after I tried one of the first IoT releases of Windows, specifically made for the RPi, I found it to be so dreadfully slow that I gave up on it. So while I appreciate your efforts, I'm not inclined to even try to get it working. And about the anticipated speed improvements: Keep on dreaming hoping :up:

Deozaan:
Yeah, I don't really have much hope or expectation that things will be vastly improved on the RPi 3B+.

I think the important thing is that (full) Windows 10 runs on ARM64 hardware. So while it may never be that it runs well on the RPi 3B+, it may be that other, more powerful devices, such as something from Odroid, can run it more smoothly. Or maybe some future hardware that hasn't been released yet. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version