ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Folder Organizer/Sorter

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:

@Shades & @wraith808: I think you're missing the key ask of the OP...and that's to scan within ZIP/RAR/7z files and make decisions based on the compressed files.  I don't think any of the aforementioned file sorters do that.
-skwire (January 13, 2019, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that's the reason that he added this part:

These will help out with sorting your files. Keeping them sorted will already you a lot in identifying what is what before you even have to open an archive to see what it contains. This works best with new downloads, but all pieces of software allow you to create rules for filtering and some can even automatically rename them according to your rules.
-Shades (January 13, 2019, 09:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was one of the reasons that I'd replied.  But point taken.

skwire:
I might be mistaken here, but aren't most zip files a collection of files that are meant to stay together?  A typical install zip would probably contain the EXE file, maybe a readme.txt, maybe a readme.md, possibly an INI file, etc.  Separating those into individual folders doesn't make a whole lot of sense, IMO.  Am I missing something here?

4wd:
What I am looking for;

Be able to input a folder destination (create one if not done), scan for files with a specific extension in/out of a compressed folder, and/or scan for specific directories in a compressed folder and then move/copy files in target directory.-wetsmellydog (January 12, 2019, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

This point needs clarification about what 'file' is being referred to for copying/moving, the one in the archive or the archive itself.
I think the latter due the earlier mention of 'sorted according to content'.

ie. The archive is kept intact and copied/moved to it's final destination according to its contents.

wetsmellydog:
Thank you all for your comments

@skwire, you are correct. None of the file sorter programs have the ability to look inside compressed files. The best they do is to decompress them according to filtered criteria.

This point needs clarification about what 'file' is being referred to for copying/moving, the one in the archive or the archive itself.
I think the latter due the earlier mention of 'sorted according to content'.

ie. The archive is kept intact and copied/moved to it's final destination according to its contents.
-4wd (January 13, 2019, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

You are correct 4wd, I would like to move the entire compressed file according to it's content. In this case, it would be a DXF, OBJ, STL, or IMAGE ie SVG.

tsaint:
Idea from a non-programmer, based on 7zip's ability to list contents of (at least) zip files using CLI...
1. AHK calls 7zip and gets archive contents written to a temp text file (maybe AHK can read 7zip output on the fly, I don't know)
2. AHK parses text file and takes required action

Here's a batch file I came across which caught my eye
-----------------
@Echo off
SET LOGFILE=MyLogFile.log
call :Logit >> %LOGFILE%
exit /b 0

:Logit
7z l archive_to_check.zip
-----------------

Tony

Navigation