ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Bored Developer's Dilemma: What to code and what to code it in?

(1/3) > >>

Asudem:
Greetings all,

I have a seemingly large amount of time to spend with myself and all the bits on this computer I could flip to my heart's content. However, my ability to keep that heart beating as fast as it does for using my computer could be greatly improved if I made adjustments myself. I find two of my online worlds colliding a lot and wish to have them sorted through my own program to help define the commonalities between the two social networks. Nothing like this currently exists which brings up what I've run into a lot and I call my "developer's dilemma".

* If I intend to make a program that does not exist in one form or another, is it worth making at all?
* Would maintenance on the program outweigh its usefulness over using the two platforms non-integrated?
* If I made this in a language which used external modules, am I prepared to have my software bloat from the unneeded components?
* If I did want to write it from scratch in a new language, what should I write it in?
I am not certain if other developers (or the self-proclaimed developer like myself) get this or not, especially when FOSS becomes involved.

IainB:
The answer to all of your points is "FORTRAN".

anandcoral:
Simple,

1. First I feel the need or is required to accomplish 'something' in fast and easy way.
2. Existing solution do not solve it fully.
3. Pick up the program language which will do it in easy and fast coding.
   (For above I have used AutoHotkey, AutoIt3, Harbour, MiniGUI to name a few, and pick which satisfies most)
4. Make it.
5. Use it and love it.
6. If you feel satisfied and happy, share it with others or release it as NANY :)

I follow it.

Regards,

Anand

wraith808:
Simple,

1. First I feel the need or is required to accomplish 'something' in fast and easy way.
2. Existing solution do not solve it fully.
3. Pick up the program language which will do it in easy and fast coding.
   (For above I have used AutoHotkey, AutoIt3, Harbour, MiniGUI to name a few, and pick which satisfies most)
4. Make it.
5. Use it and love it.
6. If you feel satisfied and happy, share it with others or release it as NANY :)

I follow it.

Regards,

Anand

-anandcoral (December 27, 2018, 05:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

This in a nutshell, and well stated.

publicdomain:
Hello Asude,

What to code and what to code it in?
--- End quote ---

What a big thought! Looks like the programming equivalent of “To be, or not to be, that is the question” :Thmbsup:

Personally, I'd say it depends on the purpose at hand.

If you want to get things done in a quick / time-sensitive manner, then by all means go with whatever language +libraries you are more proficient in. This day and age programming time itself can be said to be more scarce than computing power (gladly!).

If you want to learn, there's usually nothing more productive than the hands-on approach by using your target language to code programs in an increasing difficulty fashion.

This approach is what works for me.

Cheers!
Vic

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version