ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Possible Malware Debug - HW laptop back-light detector

<< < (10/10)

Asudem:
Have you checked in the bios and made sure you have all wake-on-lan and any other fishy options disabled?

If you turn off your network adapter (e.g. disconnect ethernet, disconnect from wireless), does the problem still happen?
Have you tried turning off automatic update checking?

Have you any 3rd party (like laptop manufacturer, or intel) app that might be trying to check regularly for updates?
-mouser (July 20, 2019, 04:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't believe my BIOS has that option. I will check again soon.

I have been in airplane mode and it still wakes up.

My Blizzard agent checks for updates regularly, but in the months it ran before my 1903 update it ran and updated fine without waking up my screen.

I'm not sure how much farther I want to go down this rabbit hole. I could be messing with power configs, notification settings, network stuff, and registry entries forever. It's insane to see this problem I'm having be so difficult to diagnose for what seems like a simplistic functiion of the operating system.

mouser:
I hear ya.. This kind of thing makes me feel like I'm losing my mind. My neighbors hear my screams and think I am going insane.

Asudem:
TAKING THE SLEDGEHAMMER APPROCH

IDEA: Possible Malware Debug - HW laptop back-light detector

Alright, so... I've decided something: If I don't move my mouse, I don't want the screen to turn on!

After failing to figure out how to use RegisterPowerSettingNotification to figure out if my display was on or off, I found that Windows API Code Pack can also do this. So, I whipped up a small little C# program for myself:

--- Code: C# ---using System;using System.Runtime.InteropServices;using System.Drawing;using System.Windows.Forms;using Microsoft.WindowsAPICodePack.ApplicationServices; namespace ReSleeper{    public partial class Form1 : Form    {        Point point = new Point();        const int HWND_BROADCAST = 0xffff, WM_SYSCOMMAND = 0x0112, SC_MONITORPOWER = 0xF170;         public Form1()        {            InitializeComponent();        }            public class Display        {            [DllImport(@"User32", CharSet = CharSet.Auto)]            private static extern IntPtr PostMessage(IntPtr hWnd, UInt32 Msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam);             public static void PowerOff()            {                PostMessage(                   (IntPtr)HWND_BROADCAST, // HWND_BROADCAST                   WM_SYSCOMMAND,         // WM_SYSCOMMAND                   (IntPtr)SC_MONITORPOWER, // SC_MONITORPOWER                   (IntPtr)0x0002  // POWER_OFF                );            }         }                private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)        {            point = Cursor.Position;            Display.PowerOff();            PowerManager.IsMonitorOnChanged += PowerManager_IsMonitorOnChanged;        }         private void PowerManager_IsMonitorOnChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)        {            Point point2 = Cursor.Position;            if (PowerManager.IsMonitorOn == true && point == point2)                Display.PowerOff();        }    }}
Basically, if the monitor powers on for whatever reason, and the mouse cursor has not moved, it will turn off again! Hurrah! No more getting out of bed walking to the computer! It's almost instantaneous when I try to use my keyboard to wake my machine up! I can add logging to this to get an idea of when the mouseless events occur and try to compare them to event logs.

But for now... it's time to enjoy some monitor-off sleep  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version