ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Possible Malware Debug - HW laptop back-light detector

<< < (7/10) > >>

ConstanceJill:
Which laptop model is it?

Are the BIOS and Intel Management Engine Firmware (if applicable) up to date?

Asudem:
Which laptop model is it?

Are the BIOS and Intel Management Engine Firmware (if applicable) up to date?
-ConstanceJill (July 16, 2019, 09:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
Model: ASUS ROG GL752VW
Bios was up to date, but I see just a month ago they released a 3.03, which I will be updating to after this reply.
Intel Management Engine appears to be version 11.0.0.1166. Will try to see if I can update it.

EDIT1: Bios updated from 3.00 to 3.03 and after finding this link here my Intel Management Engine reports version 11.7.0.1040. Of the previous 3 Intel vulnerability tools I ran, 2 are still vulnerable after the update. MDS Tool also reports many vulnerabilities still. Though I will have to wait until tonight to see if my computer magically wakes up some more from it's the monitor-powered-down state.

EDIT2: There was a microcode update for my CPU provided by windows in KB44650655, however, the update is for 1809 and not 1903. So I cannot update my microcode just yet.

EDIT3: Went to lay down and turned the screen off. Relaxing after 20 min, the screen popped back on by itself. *sigh*

mouser:
Have you tried booting it with a different distribution, like a linux distro, to see if its a hardware issue?
What about reinstalling windows?

Asudem:
Have you tried booting it with a different distribution, like a linux distro, to see if its a hardware issue?
What about reinstalling windows?
-mouser (July 16, 2019, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
In prior posts, I have run Ubuntu and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with no problems regarding "screen power time outs", and the monitor has never turned on by itself when left on the distro all night.

This was occurring on my old Win10 drive, I bought a new drive and did a multi-boot install with a fresh install of Win10 and it was doing it the same night I installed the fresh copy. It stopped happening in March but resurfaced immediately after the 1903 update.

app103:
My guess is that it is some background process or service that is activating it, perhaps some installed software checking for updates, phoning home, or syncing data.

Maybe Chrome, your antivirus, Windows itself, some browser add-on (if you leave your browser open when you go to sleep), e-mail app checking for new mail, a utility from your laptop manufacturer, other software, etc. It could even be your printer, especially if it's a Canon and you accidentally authorized it to phone home with usage statistics, when you installed the software on your laptop. It could even be one of those Start Menu apps that comes with Windows 10 that displays data in your Start menu, such as weather, news, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version