ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Avaiability/outages of the DCF website.

(1/2) > >>

IainB:
Is there a log of service level incidents/outages of the website?
I got an Error 522 today, reported by Cloudflare  - copied per the attached file which is just text in an .mhtml file, in a .zip file.
I wondered whether it was a known outage/incident or an unknown intermittent error of some kind.
Thought I should report it.
 There was a diagram that showed the connections between:
  Browser (me) <---> Cloudflare (Tokyo) <---> Host (donationcoder.com)

- with the Browser and Cloudflare shown as "working" and their link OK, but the link between Cloudflare to Host was X'd out (not working).

I did a Ctrl-R (refresh) and after a rather longish wait, the DCF site came up OK.

Shades:
After the DDOS attack not too long ago, I understood that the DC website now uses CloudFlare's facilities to handle internet traffic to the DC web server.

CloudFlare indicates that error 522 can be caused by:
 -   Overloaded web server
 -   Offline origin web server
 -   Blocked Cloudflare requests
 -   Faulty network routing
 -   Disabled keepalives
 -   Incorrect IP address in the Cloudflare DNS settings (i.e. the request from us was sent to the wrong place)
 -   Dropped packets on the host network

The responsibility for the first 2 possible causes are directly related to DC, the other possible causes are more on CloudFlare's turf. Therefore CloudFlare can be just as much a solution as it can be a problem.

KynloStephen66515:
Generally, when the site goes down like that, it's cause mouser has pressed the wrong button on something ;)

Sometimes though it can just be a small hiccough at the datacenter, causing the network to lose connection for a few moments.

IainB:
Well, I wasn't as concerned with having an analysis of that specific incident and its causes/responsibilities per se as much as I was with simply identifying the correct reporting path  - e.g., does DCF maintain an Incident Log (per ITIL good/best practice)? - but I have no real idea what the process for reporting such incidents for DCF might be in any case.
Is there a log of service level incidents/outages of the website?
-IainB (December 22, 2018, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Anyway, I've reported it now.    :D

rgdot:
Generally, when the site goes down like that, it's cause mouser has pressed the wrong button on something ;)
-Stephen66515 (December 22, 2018, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version