ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Avaiability/outages of the DCF website.

<< < (2/2)

IainB:
@rgdot: Yes, the Captain might typically press the wrong button, as @Stephen66515 suggests:
Generally, when the site goes down like that, it's cause mouser has pressed the wrong button on something ;)
-Stephen66515 (December 22, 2018, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Reminds me of an auditor I knew who worked at a banking data processing organisation. He was being proudly shown around the operations-room of one of the several new distributed national data centres when he suddenly and inadvertently became notorious for being "that guy who curiously pressed an unlabelled big red button on the side of an IBM mainframe box". I'm not sure what the purpose of the big red button was, or why it was prominent in an area where people could touch it or knock against it if it was such a risk, but his pressing it apparently resulted in the shutdown of the whole data centre for a couple of hours.

He kept his job because the button was unlabelled (came with no warnings), was easily accessible in a "safe" (read, "safe for monkeys to roam") area in the first place, and his action had clearly highlighted a serious potential operations-room process risk - which was subsequently rectified.
Seemed fair to me. (True story.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version