ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2019

NANY 2019: Shorthand 3_2

<< < (2/9) > >>

Maestr0:
Interesting. I'll test this out when I have more time.

In the meantime, could you make a list of some ways in which Shorthand 3_2 differens from FARR, apart from using Everything as the underlying file search engine?
-Nod5 (December 20, 2018, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah, I'd need to look at FARR again, it's literally been years since I ran it last.

Comparing the options, there is a lot of similar things, but FARR is currently more customizable.
Having said that, Shorthand 3_2 is open source (aside from the included .exe files), whereas FARR is not.

Shades:
I downloaded the 3.2.0.27 version and tried to execute it. That experience warranted the following suggestions:
- the content of the 'start.bat' file contains / as folder separator. That didn't fly on this version of Windows (10.0.16299 Enterprise edition), had to be \.
- the content of the 'start.bat' file could be improved upon:
    @ECHO OFF

SET ShortHandFolder=%~dp0
    START %ShortHandFolder%app\AHKv2_x32.exe %ShortHandFolder%shorthand3_ahk2.ahk
    SET ShortHandFolder=

- Now the folder you executed the script in, is captured and there is no way for Windows to get confused about where to look for files. The last line is there to clean up the content of the variable and emptying variables causes them to be removed from memory.   
- Do not use quotes |(in the START line) if AHK has never been installed on the system. Windows 10 will ask you which application it needs to use to execute the ahk script (even though that is clearly specified).
  (caveat: I never use folder names with spaces in it. Not in file names either if I can help it.)
- All my portable applications are stored in a separate folder not located on the C:\ partition. Same as my data. I'm weird that way. So I had to add these partitions to the ini file myself. Maybe I overlooked things, but I didn't find an option to add those partitions in the GUI. Not that big of a deal though.

After these changes it did work as expected. So thanks for a nice piece of software.

Maestr0:
I downloaded the 3.2.0.27 version and tried to execute it. That experience warranted the following suggestions:
- the content of the 'start.bat' file contains / as folder separator. That didn't fly on this version of Windows (10.0.16299 Enterprise edition), had to be \.
- the content of the 'start.bat' file could be improved upon:
    @ECHO OFF

SET ShortHandFolder=

- Now the folder you executed the script in, is captured and there is no way for Windows to get confused about where to look for files. The last line is there to clean up the content of the variable and emptying variables causes them to be removed from memory.   
- Do not use quotes |(in the START line) if AHK has never been installed on the system. Windows 10 will ask you which application it needs to use to execute the ahk script (even though that is clearly specified).
  (caveat: I never use folder names with spaces in it. Not in file names either if I can help it.)
- All my portable applications are stored in a separate folder not located on the C:\ partition. Same as my data. I'm weird that way. So I had to add these partitions to the ini file myself. Maybe I overlooked things, but I didn't find an option to add those partitions in the GUI. Not that big of a deal though.

After these changes it did work as expected. So thanks for a nice piece of software.
-Shades (January 06, 2019, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you, I will investigate and fix it where I can. Comments and feedback are much appreciated!

update
For testing purposes, I made sure my folder has spaces in it. Your batch file suggestion therefore did not work as it was stated. I've replaced it with the following:

--- ---@echo OFF

START "" "%ShortHandFolder%app\AHKv2_x32.exe" "%ShortHandFolder%shorthand3_ahk2.ahk"
SET ShortHandFolder=
I've tried renaming the extension to one that has no associated programs (.ahk3), and the batch-script worked. Maybe I misunderstood your remark regarding the use of quotes in the start line?

My OS is on a separate partition, as are my programs and my files/scripts.

Can you elaborate what you mean when you had to "add those partitions to the ini file"?

Maestr0:
alternatively, I guess I could use code like this (but if the long paths work with the quotation marks, I don't see the need):

--- ---@echo OFF

SET ShortHandFolder=%~s1
SET ShortHandFolder=

Shades:
I can expand on that.  First I tried the search term 'look' and I got results but only from the C:\  partition. Then I added the highlighted text (I have several pen drives, each with it's own drive letter) to  the ini file and now the same search term returns results from multiple partitions.

NANY 2019: Shorthand 3_2

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version