ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google being jerks in order to dominate the internet

<< < (2/3) > >>

cyberdiva:
Deozaan, increasingly I've come to feel as you do. I now use Google Search only when I can't find what I'm looking for on my default, DuckDuckGo. Privacy concerns made me avoid Chrome from the start. PaleMoon is my default browser, with Firefox as a backup.  But I still do use Gmail. What have you found to be a satisfactory alternative?

Deozaan:
But I still do use Gmail. What have you found to be a satisfactory alternative?
-cyberdiva (December 22, 2018, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been using ProtonMail.

It's not quite as smooth of an experience as Gmail, but it works for my needs. And I still haven't migrated my Google Contacts over to ProtonMail, so I'm not sure how I feel about ProtonMail's Contacts feature(s). But I like how ProtonMail automatically handles end-to-end encryption to/from other known services that support encrypted email. And for services that don't normally support encryption by default, you can import a person's public key or just password protect the email to ensure snooping eyes or services can't see it without the key/password.

wraith808:
I take it that you're using a paid account... at what level are you subscribing?

cyberdiva:
Thanks, Deozaan. I had heard of Proton Mail but had never looked into it. Seems promising, though it's not clear that they support my Pale Moon browser. And apparently the messages one sends and receives eventually expire. That gives me pause. But if/when I'm ready to move from Gmail, I suspect I'll give a serious look at Proton Mail.

Deozaan:
I take it that you're using a paid account... at what level are you subscribing?
-wraith808 (December 22, 2018, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not so. I'm using the free tier. I was an early adopter so they gave me at least one extra perk. Free accounts get 500 MB of storage and I have 1 GB of storage, of which I'm only using <10 MB. I have no idea what, if any, other bonuses I get for being an early adopter.

I wish they had an even smaller subscription tier. I'd gladly pay $10-12/year, but $48-$60/year makes me question if I really need any of the additional features, the answer to which has been no thus far.

Seems promising, though it's not clear that they support my Pale Moon browser.
-cyberdiva (December 22, 2018, 04:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't see why it wouldn't. I've logged in using Firefox, Tor (Firefox-based), and Chrome or Chrome-based browsers. And of course they also have Android/iOS apps.

And apparently the messages one sends and receives eventually expire. That gives me pause.
-cyberdiva (December 22, 2018, 04:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is optional. If you're really paranoid and want self-destructing messages, you can set an expiration date. But by default they do not expire. Or maybe I changed the defaults in the settings so long ago that I forgot? Either way, you can opt out of that if it isn't already opt-in by default.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version