ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

offline browsing - archiving

<< < (2/2)

Steven Avery:
I've used bbPress and BuddyPress.  Of the two, I liked bbPress better, and it had most of the functionality of SMF (which I used before) easily accessible.  I had to add a separate plugin for polls, but that wasn't difficult either.  I haven't used them in a couple of years (both were for guilds, and the groups that I was using them for either broke up, or I stopped playing the games that we were using it for), but I imagine that they have only become better in the interim.

A couple of articles on Forum plugins:

https://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/5-best-forum-plugins-for-wordpress/
https://themegrill.com/blog/best-wordpress-forum-plugins/

Oh, and as a plus, I was running on LiquidWeb infrastructure also, so they were very compatible with that.
-wraith808 (December 14, 2018, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks wraith.

I am ready to dump, or greatly reduce my reliance on, vBulletin because of the dilemna.  I have hit some tricky, frustrating problems on v. 4 (perhaps when posts have too many urls or pictures, I am going to experiement a bit), and pretty much everybody agrees that a move (especially to Xenforo, also possibly others like you recommend) is likely a better alternative in my type of situation than trying to go to version 5 ( CARM is a board that did that move.)

Xenforo is not free, but in this case, since it is integral to my writing and thinking livelihood, it gets my first consideration. 

Liquid Web is really a great outfit.  Again, maybe you can save some $$ on A,B,C but when you want voice tech-help, they are there, with real names, in the USA, lots of savvy, and your successful resoluation being their concern.  Our business had to move away from them for a hosted package, for our main website, but I am sticking with them for lots of stuff, on one reasonably priced server.  The usage may include some auxiliary landing pages, blogs and such from the biz, so then the $60 a month or so is not so daunting, as it might be for only private use.

Steven Avery:
@Steven Avery:
What about running a tool like XAMPP locally, implement the forum software of choice there, Make your additions (blogs) on that local instance and when done, dump the content from the local database and upload that into the remote hosted version of your blog/forum-Shades (December 15, 2018, 03:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've done that a bit in the past.  When the vBullein was working excellently, that seemed like more overhead.

However, I am going to reconsider it now, especially since I am actually thinking of various sites relating to my Bible stuff, and two businesses (one is e-commerce of precious metals, and the second relates to solar.) 

If  I am going to really widen my scope in 2019, the home-base alternative should be revisited.

wraith808:
Liquid Web is really a great outfit.  Again, maybe you can save some $$ on A,B,C but when you want voice tech-help, they are there, with real names, in the USA, lots of savvy, and your successful resoluation being their concern.  Our business had to move away from them for a hosted package, for our main website, but I am sticking with them for lots of stuff, on one reasonably priced server.  The usage may include some auxiliary landing pages, blogs and such from the biz, so then the $60 a month or so is not so daunting, as it might be for only private use.

-Steven Avery (December 15, 2018, 07:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

You've basically outlined why I stay with them, even though it costs a bit more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version