ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Consumer Photo/Pic Editing Software - what do you use?

(1/5) > >>

noblejoker:
Hi all
What software does everyone use for photo/picture edits?
Would like to do simple edits like crop, colour, filter, face swap, background and object removal, collages etc.

There seem to be a ton of android apps that offer this functionality but less for PC
I have tried and use GIMP which is very powerful no doubt but also complex - more pro than consumer
Photoshop elements is expensive and proprietary
I use Irfanview as a viewer and also good for resize and batch - has some functions including 'paint' but not a real editor

Any recommendations for a program that hits the sweet spot of price, features and ease of use?

Deozaan:
I, too, found GIMP to be far too complex for my needs. I usually go with Paint.NET (which is free!) for very simple edits (crops, resizing). But I've never done "more advanced" edits like face swap, background/object removal. You might need a more advanced photo editor for that.

Have you looked at Affinity Photo?

Seems like it can do a lot of the fancy stuff and is only $50. And I think they usually have a sale around Christmas or the New Year where you can get it for about $35.

noblejoker:
Have tried paint.net - similar to GIMP - quite complex etc. - but good price
Affinity looks powerful but if I am going to pay $80 ** and learn a pro program I would go with Photoshop or at least PS Elements

(** I am in Australia and we get hosed on international pricing and exchange rates)

rgdot:
I find GIMP extremely over rated, if it wasn't free it would surely be rated much lower. Minus collages which I would say is a more particular 'niche' task a combination of Paint.net, Xnview and Faststone has served me well. Photoscape does a few things well too.

noblejoker:
I find GIMP extremely over rated, if it wasn't free it would surely be rated much lower. Minus collages which I would say is a more particular 'niche' task a combination of Paint.net, Xnview and Faststone has served me well. Photoscape does a few things well too.
-rgdot (December 11, 2018, 07:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
GIMP is probably good for some but too big and complicated for many
Agree collages are not important
Care to share what you use each of Paint.net, Xnview and Faststone for
Thought Xnview and Faststone were pretty similar (and similar to Irfanview which I use/prefer) so why both?
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version