ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"File Size" Not Increasing As It Should Be

<< < (2/4) > >>

4wd:
This has been normal for me ever since ... well ... a very long time, across different file managers, eg. Explorer, DOpus, etc.

Normally I'd have to do a Properties on the relevant file and then refresh the display to get the current size.

Oddly enough it seems to be random sometimes, eg. writing an MP4 video file will:

* sometimes show a steady increase,
* sometimes just sit at 0 until it's closed,
* or sometimes show a steady increase but only after forcing the system to interrogate the file, (eg. Properties).
A F5 refresh alone doesn't seem to initiate a return to increasing file size.

Maybe it depends on the way the file is being written and/or the filesystem of the destination?
eg. One long continuously open write as opposed to the file being closed between successive appends.

I just ignore it now until I see the process is finished.

Target:
maybe this - https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/folder_changes_view.html

wraith808:
maybe this - https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/folder_changes_view.html

-Target (December 02, 2018, 09:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are a few out there that do this.  A lot depends on the methodology even with these, as I've noticed that even doing it programmatically using the Windows API, it stops working after a while.  I've narrowed down this particular issue in several cases to be that the file isn't flushed, but kept locked, so that the operation isn't evident on the drive.  Is it possible that the data hasn't been flushed to the file?

Target:
There are a few out there that do this.  A lot depends on the methodology even with these, as I've noticed that even doing it programmatically using the Windows API, it stops working after a while.  I've narrowed down this particular issue in several cases to be that the file isn't flushed, but kept locked, so that the operation isn't evident on the drive.  Is it possible that the data hasn't been flushed to the file?
-wraith808 (December 02, 2018, 11:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

yep, more than a few tools around to do stuff like this. 

Lots of gaps in the OP so the nirsoft stuff is probably a good starting point

nkormanik:
As 4wd points out, yes, context menu, Properties, does seem to do the trick of updating the filesize.

Other files in the folder don't get updated, I don't think.  Therefore, one would have to right-click on each, and do the Properties route.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version