ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"File Size" Not Increasing As It Should Be

(1/4) > >>

nkormanik:
A lot of people are complaining about this out there, I see.  Just wondering what you folks have to say on the issue.

Given:  I have a 'process' executing.  And an Explorer window open, to monitor a folder that is supposed to be 'populated' with the results of 'process.'  A file exists there which is supposed to grow in size.

Existing file: XXYY.xxyy
Existing file size: 0 bytes

I'm expecting said file to increase.  12kb.  130kb.  256kb.  etc.

After an hour the file still remains at 0 bytes.

That is, in Explorer.  The little Explorer window I have open to watch it.

Yet, the actual fact of the matter is, the file HAS been growing.  Is now growing.  Is around 5 megabytes in size.  And growing still.

Yet Explorer continues to show the file as 0 bytes in size.

So..., out there in cyberland, various solutions to this issue have been proposed.

I'm wondering what your take is.

Thanks!

Nicholas Kormanik

skwire:
Nick, since you put this in the Coding Snack section, was this question in relation to a past Coding Snack?  If not, which application are you referencing?  Also, if not related to a Coding Snack, do you mind if we move this post to a more relevant section?

Target:
so are you refreshing that explorer window while your watching it?  Those windows are static and won't show any changes until refreshed (F5)

nkormanik:
Perhaps best to move to more relevant section, Skwire.

Solution to issue, my hunch is, a small alternative to Explorer, that can dig in to the actual size, and has a refresh button.  Periodically press refresh to see updated sizes of files in particular folder.

Not sure that such program exists.

mouser:
I actually noticed this happening very recently, where even refreshing the current file explorer panel was still showing 0 as the file was being incrementally written over a long time.  This is not how I remember things behaving, so perhaps it is a recent issue on windows..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version