ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Maxthon 2.0 Invitation

<< < (5/7) > >>

masu:
you can download the newest cumalative update for IE6 here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=85CABE87-C4A0-4F80-BD1C-210E23FD8D81

nudone:
i agree with Josh. if things were so bad then no one would be using internet explorer or any of the mods. i'm not saying there aren't naughty things that get through - it's just unlikely or unlucky - i'm probably more likely to get knocked over by a bus when crossing the road but i'm not worrying about it (yes, i pay attention to oncoming vehicles when i need to - and i try to pay attention to dodgy looking websites).

maybe my machine is infected right now. always appears clean on the scans i do.

f0dder:
My own computer has been struck twice (that I can remember). One time was after letting a friend borrow it for a couple hours; checking hotmail and some forums. I think there must have been some malware in a banner ad. Since my friend hadn't browsed any "questionable" stuff, I only noticed the malware after it had deleted a bunch of mp3 and jpg files. Fortunately, the jpegs had been backed up, and the MP3s could be re-ripped.

The other time was when I mistyped an URL and got to one of those typo domainsquat "search engines" that also popped up a couple of alternate pages. I aborted the stuff very quickly, but not before the site had managed to use some IE holes to automatically install some activex control or whatever... was easy to remove and didn't have time to do any damage, though.

My mum was hit by some stuff recently. She was trying to find some online shop selling massage oil (of the non-naughty kind), but ended up on a pr0n site. Again, buncha popups and auto-install-without-asking. No, she doesn't blindly click "install", coz I told her I would lock her PC for a week if she ever did that.

Josh:
Well, what OS was this on? This sounds like PRE-IE6SP2 since now IE prompts you before an activex control is installed. I have not heard of anyone having an activex control (spyware loading one) being installed without the user being prompted.

f0dder:
Well, what OS was this on? This sounds like PRE-IE6SP2 since now IE prompts you before an activex control is installed. I have not heard of anyone having an activex control (spyware loading one) being installed without the user being prompted.
-Josh (August 06, 2006, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
XP SP2 with all recent updates. It would seem there's still ways to trick the activex control mechanism. As much as I like IE's speed and low memory usage, it's just too full of holes to be good for carefree surfing.

I dunno if FireFox is that much more safe, but at least it's not targetted as much as IE... yet. The price to pay is of course bloat, sluggishness, slowness and high memory usage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version