ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

AceText - text & clipboard manager (for coders, writers, etc.)

<< < (7/10) > >>

rjbull:
Thanks for clearing up the confusion   :)

I see that the latest beta of Kana Clip, another freeware clipboard extender, also has plenty of formatting-on-the-fly features.  Looks like a growing category.

rjbull:
If AceText is to some extent an information manager, how good are its search features?  Does it have Boolean search or regular expressions?

Carol Haynes:
From the AceText help file ...

Click the Search Options button in the lower right corner of the AceText Editor or AceText Tower, or press Ctrl+F3 on the keyboard, to toggle various options affecting the search and replace commands in AceText.

Regular Expression

Turn on this option if you want to search for a regular expression rather than for a simple word or phrase.

Dot Matches Newline

When searching for a regular expression, you can turn on this option to make the dot match all characters, including line breaks.  By default, the dot matches all characters except line break characters.

Case Sensitive

Turn on this option to make AceText treat the uppercase and lowercase variant of the same letter as different characters.  When the "case sensitive" option is on, the search term "dog" will only match "dog".  It won't match "DOG" or "Dog" or "DoG".  When the option is off, searching for any of these 4 variants will find all 4.

Adapt Case

When the "case sensitive" option is off, you can turn on the "adapt case" option to make AceText adapt the case of the replacement text to that of the search term.  E.g. when searching for "dog" and replacing with "cat", AceText will replace "Dog" with "Cat" and "DOG" with "CAT" when the "adapt case" option is on.  If the option is off, all matches of "dog" regardless of their capitalization will be replaced with "cat", as you entered it.  AceText recognizes and adapts to all uppercase (SEARCH TERM), all lowercase (search term), first capital (Search term) and first capital for each word (Search Term).  If the search match uses another kind of capitalization, the replacement text is not adapted, and used as you entered it.

Whole Words Only

By default, AceText will find all occurrences of the search term, even if as a part of another word.  E.g. searching for "cat" will match the first three letters in "category".  If you turn on the "whole words only" option, "cat" will only match the word "cat".  "Category" won't be matched.

All Clips in This Collection

By default, the Find First, Find Previous, Find Next, Replace Current and Find Previous, Replace Current and Find Next and Replace All commands only work on the active clip.  If you turn on the "all clips in this collection" option, they'll search through all clips in the collection.  Note that Find First Clip, Find Previous Clip, Find Next Clip and Filter Clips always search through all clips in the collection, regardless of this option.

All Clips in All Collections

By default, all search commands only work on the clips in the active collection.  Turn on "all clips in all collections" to search through all the clips in all the collections that you have opened in AceText.

Loop Automatically

Turn on this option to make the search restart from the beginning (or the end when searching backwards) when the search term cannot be found.

--- End quote ---

These are just the Options you can select.

You can also filter finds and apply similar stuff to search and replace.

Regular expresions use the same syntax as PowerGREP and RegExBuddy (which is not surprising as they were written by the same person) and so combines well with those apps - but youcan simply use your own RegEx too.

There is also a graphical calendar which can be used to filter searches by date.

rjbull:
From the AceText help file ...
-Carol Haynes (September 15, 2006, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Carol...  regular expressions are nice, but I'd need Boolean searching before I'd consider it an information manager.  But that's not its focus, of course.

eschen:
While AceText does have a feature called QuickPaste, it's more what the name implies -- it brings up acetext and hitting enter/double clicking on a clip immediately sends it back to the application, it's pretty quick.  But lacks the clip alteration of CHS's quickpaste.

Sorry for the confusion -- I have both acetext and CHS running -- the former as my primary clipboard extender/note keeping and the latter for its QuickPaste goodness.
-allen (September 14, 2006, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks Allen for this post. It underlines what I wanted to say in my post. The quickpaste is pretty cooler than what AceText does to reuse recent stuff you copied in the clipboard.

Regards Rainer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version