ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Default save folder and Auto Move

(1/2) > >>

JohnQSmith:
Default save folder and Auto Move

I'm using SCP in portable mode on Windows 7 (can't "install" software on work computer). In Edit > Preferences, under The Basics > Saving and Loading Files, I have my Screenshot folder set to C:\Users\myusername\Pictures\Screenshots. I want this value to remain where it is when I set it. I use the Thumbnail Panel to browse and subsequently edit/manipulate my screenshots, including sub-folders, and when I change to sub-folder SCP changes my default save to folder and also disables the Auto Move Older Screenshots setting. I found this post from 5 years ago and it explains that changing the save to folder resets the Auto Move which is apparently happening when I change directories in the Thumbnail Panel.

What happened was that I got cold feet about using this option when the user changed directories, so the new SC will auto uncheck this option whenever you change Screenshot Folders.  At least that's what's supposed to happen.  So if you just re-enable this option on the "Saving and Loading Files" tab, it should stick until you change screenshot folders.  However it will also now only be applied when you startup Screenshot Captor.  See answer below for manually triggering.
-mouser (April 25, 2013, 10:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd like to request a change in the way SCP works (maybe an option I can enable so it doesn't affect other users)...
(edit: By other users, I mean other SCP users, not other users on my computer. I'm the only one using my computer/)

1. When the main SCP window is displays, set the Thumbnail Panel back to the folder I have selected in Preferences.
[o]Yes, it will put me back where I started, but as long as I keep the window open it will stay where it is.
[o]Yes, it will put me back where I started, but that's where new screenshots are going to be put anyway.
2. Allow me to change folders using the Thumbnail Panel without changing my default save folder.

3. Do not reset the default save folder unless I manually configure it in preferences.

4. Do not reset the Auto Move setting unless I manually change the default save folder.

mouser:
Sorry I didn't notice this post earlier!

Ok let me think on this and come up with a reply.. The one tricky part of your request is the idea of saving in a different directory than what it is showing in the thumbnail panel, because SC does not contemplate these being different.
That's not to say it couldn't be done, just that I have to think about it..

It might not be too hard to have an option that tells SC to reset back to a specific folder on certain occasions (startup, when showing main window, before capturing), so that could be an overall solution..

I have to remind myself about the idea of changing automove folder.. i don't remember that.

JohnQSmith:
Have you had time to think about it?

SamPe:
I'm also interested in a fix for this problem.

Having the application's default working folder (as opposed to the current working folder) and auto move preferences changed every time the user performs a "Save As..." is really annoying behavior.

Jeffrey Klute:
I'm also interested in a fix for this problem.

Having the application's default working folder (as opposed to the current working folder) and auto move preferences changed every time the user performs a "Save As..." is really annoying behavior.
-SamPe (July 06, 2020, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have also been mystified and annoyed by this behavior. It seems that the SC architecture needs a paradigm shift. It also looks like nothing is going to change )))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version