ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Drag Drop renamer

<< < (5/7) > >>

magician62:
Not an All-in-One solution but just something simple in the meantime.

-4wd (November 03, 2018, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

As best I can tell, I have done as stated but nothing appears to happen. Console window opens and closes, but that seems it. There does seem to be red writing at thee top of the console window, but not possible to read. Is there a way to make it persist?

--- ---C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -File "E:\Renamer\DnD-Rename.ps1" _Kingfisher

4wd:
As best I can tell, I have done as stated but nothing appears to happen. Console window opens and closes, but that seems it. There does seem to be red writing at thee top of the console window, but not possible to read. Is there a way to make it persist?-magician62 (November 04, 2018, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Default ExecutionPolicy of Powershell is very restrictive and you'll get the following in red:

--- Code: Text ---.\DND-Rename.ps1 : File X:\DND-Rename.ps1 cannot be loaded. The file X:\DND-Rename.ps1 is not digitally signed. Youcannot run this script on the current system. For more information about running scripts and setting execution policy,see about_Execution_Policies at https:/go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=135170.At line:1 char:1+ .\DND-Rename.ps1+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    + CategoryInfo          : SecurityError: (:) [], PSSecurityException    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnauthorizedAccess
Usually if the script isn't written on the target machine or digitally signed then you'll get the above.

Try changing the shortcut Target to the following:

--- ---C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoExit -File "E:\Renamer\DnD-Rename.ps1" _Kingfisher
-ExecutionPolicy Bypass will tell Powershell to ignore all security settings and just run the script, (since it's rather simple this should be OK).
-NoExit will keep the console window open so you can read any errors.

If you use Powershell quite a bit and have profile scripts to customise the environment then you might want to add the -NoProfile switch to stop them affecting the above script, (not likely but who knows).

Addendum: I've added the -ExecutionPolicy Bypass parameter to the shortcuts - some people don't like running scripts with this, just remove it and then change your local machine ExecutionPolicy or digitally sign the script.

magician62:
Try changing the shortcut Target to the following:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoExit -File "E:\Renamer\DnD-Rename.ps1" _Kingfisher

-ExecutionPolicy Bypass will tell Powershell to ignore all security settings and just run the script, (since it's rather simple this should be OK).
-NoExit will keep the console window open so you can read any errors.
-4wd (November 04, 2018, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

That sorted it. :)

Now executes as intended.

A couple of issues I have identified,, which I suspect is a function of how windows now seems to work.

On processing large numbers of files 100+ (each 10-20mb). I am unable to add further files till they are processed, as windows will not allow them to be selected.

Having to create an icon... :)

Due to the way this works, it may not be suited to the original idea because of the delays it creates with larger groups of files, as mentioned that may be windows, but it does work very well for another task I have in mind. :)

4wd:
A couple of issues I have identified,, which I suspect is a function of how windows now seems to work.

On processing large numbers of files 100+ (each 10-20mb). I am unable to add further files till they are processed, as windows will not allow them to be selected.-magician62 (November 05, 2018, 01:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now you know it works, try this and see if it improves the time:

--- Code: Text ---C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -WindowStyle Hidden -File "E:\Renamer\DnD-Rename.ps1" _Kingfisher
BTW, was this having it Copy or Move?
I find Move to be very quick since it's essentially just renaming the file, something like 3-4 seconds for ~200 files (~500MB) - it did it before I could select another load to drop on an icon, (and this is on my slow computer).

Having to create an icon... :)
--- End quote ---

;D

I just grab an image off Google, view in XNView, crop to 128x128, then save as an .ico - probably something that could be done using XNView's batch processing.

magician62:
I was using "move". :)

The irony on Icons was i have several graphics packages, just none allowed me to create icons!

I suspect part of my speed issue is, my system was a W10 upgrade from W7 rather than fresh install. I have occasions where if several large files are sent to my computer from another on the network, I can loose total control till completed. If I pull the same files, I have no problems. The solution is probably a format, but even when I upgraded, I really didn't fancy spending a month or more re-installing and reconfiguring everything to where I had it before. :)

A good way of describing, and it is not just this util. If I drag a number of files from an explorer window to my graphics program, I can not select any file in the source folder till all the files have loaded as I get a busy cursor. File "moves" see explorer processor usage go silly. It's almost as though it has forgotten to multi task. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version